Stick Steering Review

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by LinedTheBlind, Jan 8, 2007.

1. LinedTheBlind

LinedTheBlind Junior Member

2. maddyfish

maddyfish small boater

My grandfather had a 14 ft 40 hp fiberglass boat that had stick steering, I didn't like the feel, but I guess you'd get used to it. One good thing is that it took up very little space.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I am planning on a similar setup for STROLLER , a cruising powerboat.

The tiny space requirements , plus the ability to use a tiller auto pilot ,( really cheap with instant install/remove ) are the reason for the choice.

FF

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

I've had such a setup. There are pros & cons. Ir is great for fishing and slow speed manuvering. No motor kickback. VERY smooth & responcive. Almost TOO responsive. You can do a lot of damage at high speed OR in a moment of confusion. It is counter intuitive! You eventually "learn" to steer. Watch out for that right brsin-left brain confusion in a crisis.
    I found it hard to go from my little fish'n boat with it, back to my other boat with a wheel.
    I had a bud who never got the hang of it. Some swear by them, others swear at em.

5. peabody

peabody Junior Member

Interesting. I want one.
    Be great on the river.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.