Design/building literature

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CuriousNavyGuy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. CuriousNavyGuy

CuriousNavyGuy New Member

I plan to build watercraft sometime in the future and would like some suggestions on some literature to study before building my first sailboat. It is also a desire of mine to design my own plans for various types of boats and would like some other suggestions on technical books to aid in learning to design these boats. I already have a solid backgeound in physics but could use some touching up on fluid dynamics.

My mind is open to suggestions so please have at it!

Nick

2. Matt Sponer

Matt Sponer New Member

Hi,
    I have also started learning and have an education in physics. My favorite books so far are:
    Boatbuilding with Aluminum, Stephen Pollard. This is a good overview of aluminum construction-- how to cut the metal, weld it, and how it deforms when you put it together. There are a lot of pictures and discussion of the various construction methods.

Yacht Design According to Perry. This isn't technical, but I like reading his descriptions of the trade offs involved. He also has a series of books with his boat design reviews in them, which I think are also a good introduction to the things a designer tries to balance.

The Cruising Encyclopedia. Dashew. This is a huge, expensive book, that is written by and for people who spend a lot of money on their boats. But there is a lot of good discussion on design, especially if you buy into the 'long waterline, narrow beam' vibe of the boats they've made (I do). And a lot more on a lot of small, important details that go into a good design-- how to lay out the cockpit winches, what good hatches look like, talk about dodgers, biminis, and etc.

Principles of Yacht Design, Larsson. This is more technical. I like this book.

Please tell me if you find any others that you find useful.

3. Milan

Milan Senior Member