Suggestions wanted for reading.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Mychael, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Apologies if this has been asked before but I am looking for recommendations for books to give me a basic working knowledge of fibreglassing and resins etc.

I own an fibreglass yacht and want to be able to do more of the maintenance work myself.
    At the moment my sum knowledge of glass and stuff is awareness of it's existence and using those 2 tube epoxies you get from hardware stores.

I don't want to get in depth study of technical data but want to know more about the common things used, why or why not you would use them, what does or does not go with what, that sort of stuff and of course simple techniques and the right way to do things.

Mychael

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

The first thing I would do is go and read everything you can find at http://www.westsystem.com/ they have a lot of nice wright ups about epoxy and manufacture a complete line of epoxy stuff geared to the home user and general maintenance guy. Once you start looking for specialty stuff or large volume there are better suppliers, but West Systems stuff is a good all round product.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

try the Diab website and also FGI . they are both good for info

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.