Suggestions on home build

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by CutOnce, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

The best way to do it is using conics, and you can achieve some surprisingly nice shapes. With conics all bending is simple, not compound, so gaussian curvature = 0.

I started a 26 foot catamaran design for Professional BoatBuilder's Design Challenge III. Didn't finish the design, so was not an official entry, but the hulls were conically developed based on the plywood Mistral Moth hull. Also attached is a preliminary RC sailboat hull showing a similar concept with a single chine. I've further refined my methodology now to where I can achieve a shapely, easy-to-build plywood hull with a highly optimized longitudinal distribution of volume (i.e. curve of areas), and unwrap the panels to their true flat shapes, never deviating from conic geometry.

I like Gary's Three Devils, and thank Corley for showing us the Warren Multihulls website. Is Warren here in the NE US or down under? If CutOnce or anyone else is interested in working with me to do something close to these hulls in conically developed sheet material, I'd love to work with you on such a project.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.