Suggestions on a slightly larger but still small rowboat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by declan, Dec 19, 2011.

1. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Is it really that hard to find good ply nowadays? I haven't bought hardwood marine ply in a while. When I was about twenty or so, I woke up one morning and decided to build a boat I had been thinking about for a while. I dialed O for operator and asked for Bruynzeel. This turned out to be somewhere in Sweden (edit, or maybe the Netherlands) and the ATT operator got me a translator. After about twenty minutes, I had an order for seven sheets, all A/A, four custom made, two 16' long. They took about 4 months to be delivered to Georgia, where a delivery driver unceremoniously dumped the crate in the middle of the driveway. There were tire chirp marks all along the driveway where he bounced the 400 pound crate out the back of the truck. He broke the corner off some of the ply wood. They charged me $50 shipping and I was mad. In high dudgeon, I called the shipper and read them the riot act and demanded my $50 dollars back since they didn't follow my instructions (they were supposed to call me). After I collected some oak and mahogany boards and some epoxy, I rode my bike down to the hardware store and bought a hand saw and the build began. Later, I bought an electric drill, too.

2. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

I have to say I have been more fortunate.
    when I was lofting the top of my bow, after finishing the cut,
    I found an air pocket that ran through the entire width of my piece
    about a foot wide. I took it back to the one and only supplier here in town
    and asked if they could replace the piece for me. They gave me a whole new sheet 4x8 1/4 marine ply no charge!. they then cut it down for me so I could fit it in my car. (which they help me load).

less to say, they have all my future business.

Good on you for working through it.
    Is a bummer when "stuff" like this happens.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  3. declan

declan Junior Member

Hey everyone! Thanks for the great responses! So far the duckskiff (the one lewis showed) looks the best to me.

I guess I should elaborate. The place I'd most likely take it is a smallish bay, the water is deep enough but I wouldn't have to worry about big boats I think.

Originally, I was just looking for a boat that I'd only row, but now a motor does sound tempting... Nahhh, let's just consider rowing-only boats.

Also, phil, I think you're right: Last year, as you can see in my picture, I built my boat inside my apartment, and then I could maneuver it in and outside of the house. But that boat was 8 ft long, and I'm quickly becoming aware that I won't be able to get a 14 ft boat out of my apt probably. So it looks like I'll need to find a place to build it...

I don't have a trailer (or even a car for that matter) so I'd want something I could carry to the water (I'm not far from it) with just two people, or maybe two people and a dolly.

So right now, I'm thinking the 14 ft duckskiff. Please excuse my (massive) ignorance on the subject! Any other advice?

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

You could build the boat in two pieces, forward section and aft section, to be fastened together at the waters edge.

This is an idea (not mine) that has several merits. The parts are lighter, easier to lift or transport, the parts can be stored in a garage by standing them on end. Safe storage is often a problem for our beloved boats so planning ahead is a good scheme. And the parts could be transported on a dolly of only half the length required by a full length boat.

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. A nesting boat is both a bit of a challenge to get right and a practical way to manhandle a two person boat. Plus it's a bit quirky; And I'm guessing that would appeal to a guy who's willing to not bother with motor provisions.:D

I came within a hare's breath (merry Chrismas, Boston) of building one, but managed to get a hard dink down to a weight I could manage.

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Deliberate?

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Why a pointy bow?
    If your gonna Row, and want the stability of standing or beaching and walking outta the boat, why not a Jon Boat type Bow.
    Last year Lewis Boats had one I liked. I want it just for the same purpose.
    Row, Stability, and power.

I'll draw a lot of fire for this remark, but I'd never use any Fiber glass on a small wood boat. Just glue in some places, primer n' paint.

8. JumpinJax

JumpinJax Boatwright and Joiner

Good designs

Several more complex dinghys sized and developed for rowing and sailing

9. JumpinJax

JumpinJax Boatwright and Joiner