Suggestions for a high mileage raft trip?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Tomboi, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Tomboi

Tomboi All tied up

Hello to everyone! ~ I've been reading posts for sometime and finally signed up so that I could interact. I am a 52 year old female that is planning on a charity solo raft trip. I am not looking for thrills like the Mighty Miss, but rather a lazy river where I can do some long miles. Can anyone make suggestions for the US? Other criteria is that I wish to avoid higher crime areas as well as major shipping areas. Of course the time of year/flow output are also important as I will be under my own power. I've still got plenty of time to make plans (isn't that half the fun!?), and would like to hear other ppls experiences and suggestions. Thanks to all! Robin

2. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

Welcome Robin,

Sounds like you're thinking of some real adventure, and hopefully some opportunity to see some new and wonderful sights. To make any real viable suggestions though we'd have to have some idea's as to what you're considering as long. And what part of the country you'd prefer to float this eventful outing. I have a river in the eastern U.S. that may fit your needs but need more info.

To really have nice scenery and to escape commercial traffic are you willing to deal with some moderate maybe class 1 or 2 water. The river I thinking of has beautiful surrendering National Forest in some areas but also flows through wide extensive bottoms surrounded by agricultural farmland. I can't say exactly how far or miles and it would also depend on where you put in. I'm guessing a few hundred miles but its a one way ride and you could have to walk and maybe guide your boat through some shallow areas depending on water conditions.

3. Tomboi

Tomboi All tied up

Thanks for the welcome and reply! I am open as to where, and one way is what I intend. As for distance, I need a couple hundred miles or so. ~And not looking for anything considered challenging. Solitude is fine, and highly enjoyed, but not the purpose of my trip. Ideally, I would pass many small towns, rather than vast areas of low population. As this is about charity and public awareness (for ALS), being noticed is improtant..and that is sometimes lost in the larger cities...plus the fact that I don't like mingling with freighters. I have a lot of research to do as to where...but would sure like to hear from others! Thanks again, and take care.

4. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

The river I'm thinking about might still fill the bill for what you're looking for but you'll have to do the research yourself to decide. It's called the Potomac River and it's starts way up in West Virgina, and if you're up to it your could finish your trip waving at Obama in D.C.

But you can have the D.C. part I'll stay in W.V. and do my boating thank you.

Potomac_watershed.png

5. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

If you want a REAL Adventure.... Float the Yukon From Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada, to the Sea, near Nome, Alaska, USA.... Now that is a Float Trip....

6. Tomboi

Tomboi All tied up

Thank you so much! I will put that on my list of places to research. I guess 200 miles isn't all that many..but it's a start. Maybe I will make it a yearly thing.

7. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Have you ever read the book called River Horse? An excellent read. Find it Here.

8. Tomboi

Tomboi All tied up

Not only have I read it, but loved it enough to still have a copy!

9. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

This book is full of ideas! Just skip the Great Lakes and avoid the portages.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.