Suggestions are welcome!!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by pbrito, Sep 15, 2003.

1. pbrito

pbrito New Member

Dear friends,

I have just arrived to this wonderful site... and I am very happy to find so many enthusiastic members!!
    I am a Sea Scout Leader from a Sea Scout Group in Portugal and a member of the National Sea Scout Team. We are facing a new challenge that is to find a new sailing boat to fulfil the following items:

- small sailing boat (4-5 meters long);
    - to be handled by young scouts (aged 10-16 yrs);
    - to take a 6 scouts-crew and their camping equipment;
    - to make a week-end cruise.

We have a small sailing boat that we adopted similar to a Dot or Piaf class, aprox. 4,10 m long, but no good for what we are looking for (picture attached).

Does anyone have some suggestions or ideas?
    Thank you!
    Yours in sailing,

Pedro Brito

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy Senior Member

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you planning on building these boats?

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Andy, a great general boat at a quick glanse. Looks good too.

Several questions arise, for example, is the boat for sea-sailing, or inland waters (or both)? As Gonzo suggests, do you have anywhere to build? You'll need a double garage or bigger if you want that route. You'll probably need 5, maybe 6 meters length, it's tight getting four people into most 4 meter boats. Having said that, if you used a keel, you could spread the crew more evenly, so not need too much length. Storage is obviously a question, what size and weight is the gear? (length, width, height and mass). If we know a design displacement, then we'll beable to take a shot at suggesting, or designing the right boat.

Cheers,

Tim B.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Six people with gear would be too tight in 4 meters. I agree that 5 to 6 is better. A longer boat would have more reserve floatation too. The most carrying capacity for the draft is with a flat bottom skiff. Also, they are easy and cheap to build.

6. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

A flat-bottomed skiff you reckon?

Oh well, have a look at this,
    Length 5m
    Beam 1.5m
    Loaded Displacement 600Kg
    Unloaded weight 220Kg
    Keel bulb - 100Kg

Cheers,

Tim B.

Attached Files:

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

For a keel boat a flat bottom doesn't work all that well. However, I thought they were looking for a centerboarder since the intended use is camping. The scouts would need to beach the boat to unload the gear. My ideas were along the lines of a sharpie.

8. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I did toy with the idea of a centerboard, but the keel gives a more permissive lateral loading capability, especially useful if you need to stow gear etc. That said, I could always redraw it. It is also benificialwhen anchored, which saves the job of beaching what would be a hevy boat when loaded. My loading estimation is 480Kg for crew and gear. In a five meter keel-boat, there is space for a small inflatable for use as a tender.

Anyway, don't let that put you off, gonzo, I'd love to see what you'vecome up with.

Cheers,

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.