My first boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by milezone, Jul 6, 2014.

1. milezone

milezone Junior Member

Attached Files:

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Looks fine for a first boat. It appears that you have done a good building job.

The pictures do not show the essential details of the design. It appears to be a mini Jon boat. The cut out on the transom implies that you will use a small outboard. The transom needs to have a slope of about 14 degrees (a bevel of 0ne on four) to accommodate the outboard. Can't tell if you have given it the needed slope. All is not lost if if the transom is plumb. You can fix it by adding a wedge shaped bit of wood .

What is the main intended purpose of the boat? Fishing, rowing, or ....?

3. milezone

milezone Junior Member

Fishing and cruising. Not sure what you mean about the 14 degrees? Are you referring to the sides of the boat or the transom tilting backwards?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The transom tilting backwards. All outboards are built with brackets tilted to 14 degrees

5. milezone

milezone Junior Member

We'll shoot, see I sure learn a lot from you guys. Ok next built transom must be tilted 14* backwards. :). Dumb question, but can I ask why they are tilted?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I actually don't know. It became the standard many decades ago. Motors from the 30's are already setup like that.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

It allows the motor to tilt (trim) and tuck in tighter to the hull if the top of the transom is overhanging the bottom.

8. milezone

milezone Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Will make sure to add that to my next attempt. Working my way up to doing a tugboat, and giving these away as I do them. :)

9. milezone

milezone Junior Member

Btw I love your little mini chugger boat Steve. Nice to see a cool variation to the same old same old boat designs. :). Might try my hand at that one if you do not mind me using your idea?

10. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Generally the small outboards - 2-3 Hp suitable for this pram type craft have adjustment to allow for mounting on a vertical transom. So I would not get too concerned about the 14 degree angle seen on larger craft.
    However, it would be beneficial to have a 'packer' maybe a slung over the stern piece (two pieces connected by two ropes) which act as a protective pad and thickener for the outboard mount bracket. If you look at other mounts you will often see aluminium plates or semi sacrificial plywood pads used in this application. When mounting a motor, the screw downs will leave marks. Don't forget to put a thether on too, just in case you drop the motor in the water accidentally, or hit something that knocks it off.

11. milezone

milezone Junior Member

Do you have a photo I could peek at to see what you mean about "two pieces connect by ropes". I wondered that myself how to take on and off motor without beating up my transom wood. Just don't work with metal at all so no clue where to even get and cut that material.

12. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Below is a very rough picture of a protective pad, that acts as a reinforcement and packer for mounting small outboards. The ropes should be knotted and the knots sunk in the counterbores. Although it is shown as solid, usually dense plywood is used for this type of application. It will protect and support the transoms of small dinghies and other light craft reasonably well. Make sure the faces that contact the transom are sanded nice and smooth. It may of course be varnished/painted but ensure no dirt spots on the contacting faces to the transom.

Attached Files:

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Its a standard to allow for safe turning.

Ever wonder why motor boats 'bank' into a turn like a plane ?

Its because when the motor is turned on an angled axis, the propeller also gets trimmed up slightly, to force the inner side of the boat down, and consequently the outer side of the hull up,

Attached Files:

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

rwatson: the angle of the pivot is not dependent on the transom. The bracket can be manufactured to any angle.

15. milezone

milezone Junior Member

Thanks guy for the info, such a cool helpful group. I promise in a year my skill level will be up to par, and I will be creating some cool unique boats. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.