Submersible Superyacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jehardiman, Oct 6, 2022.

1. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

bajansailor likes this.
  2. John Rivers

John Rivers Junior Member

I'm loving it but quite disappointed at the price tag and thought it was 25 to 50% overpriced.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Oh my, you have no idea...have you ever heard the acronym "DNV"?

4. John Rivers

Haha. No. I looked it up. Couldn't find it. Damn nice view?

I understand I could be wildly wrong here. But I'm trying torationalize where all the millions are going to in it.

5. John Rivers

Oh I get it now. Everything has to be up to an absurd code, for strange vessels such as this. Prolly a million on fireproof caulking alone.

6. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

They didn't mention whether the fresh-water swimming pool was to be enclosed or not ... and, frankly, I think the view at any but shallow depth would usually be either boring or terrifying. I suppose it could be 'colorful' if they cruised it through the Pacific Gyre garbage patch.

I think this dream is gonna stay in the pipe.

7. Kayakmarathon

Kayakmarathon Senior Member

I would think the fresh water in the pool would be pumped into a holding tank prior to diving. Sea water would be pumped out / drained once back on the surface.

8. mitchgrunes

mitchgrunes Senior Member

Maybe DNV is "Det Norske Veritas", which seems to be the name of an organization related to marine insurance.

As near as I can figure out, if most of the pumps that allow a submarine to surface fail, the submarine may be unable to surface. And the passengers die. Again, if an underwater window breaks, all or part of the ship could flood, and drawn passengers. Could that affect insurance rates? Or am I guessing wrong?

Of course, you could back up the pumps with compressed air and ballast that you can release. But still, I think submarines have greater risks. Even an underwater window that breaks could cause serious flooding.

Nonetheless, I think a recreational submarine sounds like a very cool idea. Especially if it were a lot cheaper.

Of course, it would be more interesting for sight seeing in clear water than muddy water.

One obvious application for submerged vessels, that might justify their price, is smuggling. Do these boats look practical for that?

Smuggling or not, if you a submerged vessel is detected, before or after surfacing, maybe the local version of the Coast Guard would blow you up, on the assumption your were up to no good. :)

Also, I think a slightly submerged vessel could be a hidden hazard to navigation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.