Submersible Sailboat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by uber33t, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Filmdaddy

Filmdaddy Previous Member

SH - Just goes to show you. Tell the truth, I thought it was just an intellectual exercise, too. And, to tell you another truth, I thought you cobbled up the photo. Dive to 250 feet? Is he serious? What would you do with the sail?

2. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Shoe repair..

Hello...

I never nor have I ever cobbled up a photo or borrowed from others...

No...

SH.

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

You can put a sail on anything - go for it.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Put a 5 HP Honda pump in a big Hefty trash bag (seal well) scuttle your boat, then break out the pump.

This type of thing has been tried many different ways, but generally ends up costing one function more then the other can afford before reasonable other alternatives get to be employed.

This is true of car/boat, aircraft/car, boat/aircraft (though they have enjoyed a very limited use since the invention of paved runways) train/cars, tank/aircraft (believe it or not, the former USSR built them) and a host of other children only a mother could love, have had to suffer this identity crisis. Sort of like conjoined twins with one really good looking and the other really bad and having to decide which to be seen with on a date.

5. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Email...

At 04:57 PM 7/24/05 -0700, you wrote:
    >Hello...
    >
    >I found your site and linked it to this discussion forum - a bit open and
    >fun - hope you do not mind ...
    >
    >If you reply to this Email - CAP it - so it stands out from the SPAM...
    >
    >See http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=54382#post54382 for the
    >discussion to date...
    >
    >You may want to get directly involved...
    >
    >Cheers...
    >
    >SH.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR EMAIL. THE HULL OF THE SAILING SUB IS THE SAME AS THE
    VAST MK III WHICH WAS CLASSED BY ABS EXCEPT THAT IT IS EXTENDED IN LENGTH
    BY EIGHT INCHES IN ORDER TO PROVIDE A LITTLE MORE ROOM FOR PEDALING. WE
    SOLD OUR PLANT IN WARREN, MAINE AFTER WE BUILT A TWO MAN K-350 FOR THE
    UNIVERSITY OF NAGASAKI IN JAPAN. IT WAS CLASSED BY NK. BOTH OUR K-350 AND
    K-600 SUBMARINES WERE ALSO CLASSED BY LOYD'S.. IF ANY OF YOUR GROUP WANT A
    FREE BROCHURE, JUST SEND ME THEIR SNAIL MAIL ADDRESS.
    REGARDS, KITTREDGE

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

As any submariner will tell you you have to go deep to avoid any decent weather, and you have to do it before the storm hits! And sodden sails don't work! the currants down stairs are slightly different (trimming the buggers can be a little difficult too!). a sailing boat is designed to ride the weather not crash into it which thus makes life more bearable. So if you can't handle rough weather buy a car and get to a desert!

7. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

It's been done:
    [​IMG]

Actually, I thought nearly all submaraines had sails!

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Yeah some call it a "sail" others call it a "fin", us awld buggers call it a "conning tower" guess it depends on which navy you were in or how old you are! Only diesel boats really have conning towers - and they are 'old'. The Royal (Real) Navy no longer has diesel boats - and the modern submariner has enough water to shower and wash! Just too easy!

9. SUB-WingFoil

SUB-WingFoil New Member

Sailing/Foiling-Dream_Submersible

Aloha from the Friendly Isle' Please excuse, I am just Now New to discovering "BoatDesign.Net"; this is my "first" Go! at contributing with a "Forums" format-OK.
    Yes indeed the Future "Attitude" and practical projected "Numbers" for that which will define the Break-thru future proposed "Think-Tank" for the Kite/Wing/Foil Submariner... Jolly-Good, really -n- Trully- Let's "Huddle". Let us Hui Ohana, Postively Figure It out and DO IT TOGETHER!!!
    The vision is to not only apply such a future Sailing-Submersible-Ama_raning Concept and configurations as a safer and more quiet ride below the "buffer-zone", Yes, with such a submersible penetrating/surfing "platform" we can ride out the extreme storms and proceed on course with a most defined "Sweet-Glide" Rhumbline with No-Emissions propulsion systems.
    So, if Can, we can most probably Come-Together in One accord and have the constructive blessings of complete agreement (we define this Joyous-Sailing experience as: being upon/within/thru HARMONIX).
    We can apply the A.Y.R.S. "attitude" towards a future "think-tank" and actually figure this equation out and make the Concepts and "best-configuration" a workable Model.
    Who's for the future of a Underwater systems of commerce and "ground-affect" style vehicles that can potentially exceed the "Given" 55 knots threshold with Laminar-Flow-Numbers penciled-out and providing Creative Abundance for future inter-continent, Oceanic Freight and Cargo Sailing-Submersible-Transports!?!

Yes, we will have a future Fleet of Underwater capacity Sailing/Foiling/Gliding Extreme Clipper Ships! Can we Please Continue-On with this/that "given" Draem and Visions.
    Excuse me, yet we have the practice and theory that a Sailing Submersible Katamaran does not have to be heavy, in fact, due to the + & - factor of lighter-than-air buoyancy chambers encompassed within theis theortic design and construction, we will have the proposed regulated pneumatic "Human-Factor" (Infinite-Battery) Turbo-Boost Jet-Drive that will provide the Theory and working/dialing-in Practice to have the results of Ultra-Light sailing-subs, and Dynamicly strong Submariner Riding Vehciles- Any one Up for Submarine Races OK...
    (please take note of the more-fun-per-dollar -n- dynamic-screaming-fun exercises' and joyous experiences at: (www.isrsubrace.org) <speterson@chesapeake.net>...)

I do so very much look forward unto anyone and everyone's positive "mana'o".
    GOD-Speed -n- Have a Surfilicious-Day.

Ganbarre Nei -n- Imua Ka Kou iruka-san.

10. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I like the idea of a boat that is submersible but is primarily designed for surface operation. .44 psi per foot of depth. Of course by the time you build a boat strong enough for that, it is probably strong enough to survive on the surface. But it saves reefing the sails - just submerge a little more as it gets windy :).

11. rambat

rambat Member at large

Sub-Sail

I had a similar inclination in "96" and designed this "inner space capsule". Since I am often inclined to make such things myself, I envisioned the shell made up of steel plate, flat planes. Before the lurking security hounds bark, it was not intended to handle the worst of weather nor be absolutely still. Just a robust way to soften rides through most weather, explore the reefs and sea life close up and avoid piracy. A long leg trawler type of propulsion when diesel is available, longer with only wind.

Attached Files:

12. VicRohe

VicRohe New Member

Submersible Sailboat - There would seem to be no reason such a vessel could not be constructed, however, let’s think it through a little. How deep will it need to dive to obtain its objective? If rogue waves can reach 100 feet, and Tankers can have a draft of say 50 ft, it might be best to have the potential to dive to a pressure depth of 200 feet. It might be a good idea to be able to lower or telescope the mast, so that under water propulsion of some type would be practical. How long would you want to be able to breathe? Say maybe 72 hours for a crew of four? Would that be long enough for most storms? What do you think? It might be a good design contest for college students, perhaps MIT types. The hull shape and construction would be challenging. How about some more ideas and suggestions?

13. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

This is one of the best threads I've seen in a while here.

hat's off to the original poster!

rambat, that thing is way cool!

I agree this would be a very interesting design challenge. Telescoping mast. I think that would be the ticket. Or one that's on a tabernackle that you just lower somehow.

14. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I've had some of these same thoughts too... when I was a monohull guy. I was talking to my wife about it (we live aboard and cruise) and she categorically shot it down.

Why?

THE DANK!

15. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

who said anything about a wife? :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.