submersible boat design help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by yileiliu, Apr 6, 2006.

1. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

I was thinking the goal would not be to travel in submerged mode, you would refloat back up to cat mode once severe storm conditions pass. Also, you would have to be submerged quite some distance below wave troughs in say, a hurricane, suspended and as safe as in a stopped submerged submarine.

A shock absorber system might help smooth the ride, if you wanted to travel in slight chop with the pod submerged.

Porta

2. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Oh, I see, a static submerged mode to avoid a severe storm. I also thought that this could be dealt with this way but I read in a post by a member here who described being, IIRC, 300 feet deep in a submarine, and it was still violently rolling due to storm conditions above. So, depth alone is not a refuge.

Here's a helpful quote from one of the knowledgeable members here:
    In order to achieve what you do describe with a vessel like the one pictured earlier, and not have the submerged occupied hull unit be ridiculously heavy, it would require an active stabilization system to counter the disturbances. That requires power for however many hours the storm rages above so you and your passengers could be comfortable. Not a simple thing to do.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.