Nom de Plume Syndrome

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Chris Ostlind, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

OK, so the previous title for this same thread was, perhaps, a bit sensationalist in nature... still, the subject matter should be opened for discussion. So, we have the French reference this time. It's all the same thing, anyway; The hiding of one's real persona behind a fake name to avoid accountability for what one says on the Internet.

Comments welcomed.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

There is a second reason Chris. That is that people want to avoid to get damaged IRL by them from the first category. I admire people who can stand that. You are one of them.

Good luck!
    Angel

3. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Hi Chris. I believe the anonymity of forums is a relatively small part of the ‘bad behaviour’ problem. I don’t find the Miami Herald article particularly useful here.

First and foremost is that writing is such a very limited, such a ‘partial’ form of communication. All the subtlety of nuance and inflectlon that we use in spoken conversation is lost. Even in face to face conversation, it is said that 90% of communication is non verbal. It is very difficult to convey things like irony without the additional communication that comes from tone of voice, facial expression, gesture, body stance. Even in face to face conversation, we have to be very careful about using irony, and robust comment with any but the close friends with whom we have built up a rapport, an understanding.

Forums also bring together people of many different cultures, and even among native speakers of the same language, there can be many different ways of using the same language. I remember many examples of embarrassment as a British student in an American university: asking a female fellow student who I barely knew if she could lend me a rubber (eraser); asking a friend to pick their fag butt (cigarette end) up off the table; telling a friend that she was full of beans (bright, perky, energetic) that day.

Then, the ‘type and click’ nature of making a comment is very quick and easy, and tends to encourage hasty, heated and ill considered postings, compared with the more extended process, and investment of energy in writing a letter.
    There is also a long evolved etiquette to writing a letter; done formally it can almost become poetic, and much of etiquette is about avoiding misunderstanding and embarrassment. Although there may be some etiquette to forums, it is often ignored in the heat of the moment.

I believe that as communication and social interaction are so very important to us as a species, we get very frustrated when it is limited at all, or made difficult. We witness this most days when we drive, and see the anger, rudeness, frustration flaring up between drivers when we can’t talk to each other.

I wouldn’t say bad behaviour comes from any particular sector of forums. I have seen it from newbies, long established pillars of forum society, named and anonymous alike. I know I have been annoyed by rudery, and responded inappropriately too.

I don’t have a problem with the anonymity of the forum, but then, with respect to this forum I am a bystander in the world of boat design, and I can see it may well be more of an issue for those professionally involved in boat design and boat building. My professional field is Architecture, a profession with at least its fair share of opinionated, arrogant primadonnas, and I don’t engage in any Architectural forums.

Some people may have reasons of security for maintaining their anonymity, some may find it fun to be someone rather different from their real self on the internet. Many, myself included, assume a name because that is forum ‘form.’
    Even a declared real name, or email address does not necessarily give any traceable identity.

It may be that there is a percentage of users that enjoy using the anonymity of the internet to bully or insult, and there is certainly a percentage of inane, timewasting comment. If we can remember to try to ignore the way the comment is delivered, and sift out the useful content, then we can usually avoid being too irritated or hurt by the nonsense.

I am happy being Tiny Turnip, but I am equally happy being Adrian Evans, a senior lecturer at Huddersfield University.
    Of course, you’ve only my word for that though...

...unless you’re minded to go digging about on the university website, where you might find an extremely embarrassing marketing photograph of me in a kilt, clutching the smoking gun that is a seacycle pedal drive unit...

1 person likes this.
  4. Chris Ostlind

I rather like that photo, TT. It shows a designer who has a spirit and does not wear a bow tie and designer glasses. I would like to know how the PR guys got you to sit (stand) for the session, though.

I really enjoyed the response to the initial post. Your points are well taken.

I would suggest that our busy global culture tends to dehumanize our presence within the grand workings of the larger organism. The function of hurriedly grabbing our 15 minutes of fame is, no doubt, rooted in the process of feeling like a small, almost unnecessary component. All the time, we cry out for our actions to be heard, to be listened-to with care. On fora such as this one, there seems to be a reverse trend that drives us to seek ever more personal irrelevance by choosing to utilize an artificial title.

Certainly, this overall phenomenon is an interesting sociological quandry. By posting this Op/Ed piece, I am looking to further the dialogue on these pages as to the substance and the purpose of the alias process.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I remember a guy on Sailing Anarchy that used to post some of the most vile postings imagininable in technical threads-he called himself Big Oz. Know anything about him, Chris?

6. Chris Ostlind

You going somewhere with this, Doug, or just amusing yourself?

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Well, I was hoping to see some light shed on the topic of this thread.....

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

There are some kooks out there. I had one from this forum email me yesterday and threaten to "punish me" for my comments that are "lame or poorly researched". My God, it seems that there is a Nylex or Quark around every bend.
    "However, there is a way out of that picture", he went on - by writing him an apology. It seems I embarrassed him a month or so ago for barking at some soul for no external reason. I am trying to stop that but I just can't stand seeing somebody, especially a newb, getting picked on. As close to an apology as I am going to get, an explaination of why there is friction, will have to do.
    Also, I have too much at stake to put my real name out there and speak my piece. Since everbody on this thread is okay, my real name is Mortimer775. Please don't spread it around.

9. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

I am who I am.....regardless :cool:

10. Chris Ostlind

Geez, Mark, that's very interesting. I had this fellow write me just the other day and say almost the same things. One could almost think that there's a conspiracy of some sort afoot. I wish you the best with that.

Doug, I can't help you with your dilemma, but I'm sure that if you put up a fresh post at Sailing Anarchy to that effect, that you'll get what you seek. They're pretty lenient moderators over there and only the most distasteful ever get themselves tossed.

11. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

What was once regarded as a reasonable standard of courtesy is rarely practiced on the Internet, and often neglected in everyday life for that matter. Like spelling and the art of diplomacy, it is in decline.

I think the news media have a great deal to answer for much of this, together with people in the public eye who set a regrettable example for others to follow. Newspapers do not offer to publish carte blanche every letter they receive in the mail and will only rarely consider publishing an anonymous one. Their lawyers would not allow it and their owners would not let their name be sullied. Those same newspapers assume it is acceptable to do so on a web site.

I don't think it is caused by anonymity, on this forum we do not have to go far from home to find individuals guilty of insult, insensitivity or even simple patience.

Along with web anonymity, should we choose to accept it, comes the right to ignore the offensive behavior, to refuse to rise to the bait, and to abstain from replying in kind. People who exercise this right are particularly to be admired IMHO. They set standards that I aspire to, but do not always achieve.

12. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Society has coursened considerably since the 60's. Values not anonymity appears to be the culprit. Given the reliance newspapers put on anonymous sources who are often government workers releasing private or priviledged information in an illegal fashion trying to sway public opinion it is quite hypocritical to see them rail against the concept.

13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I really wish people here will respect my anonymity and my real name Daniel Skira will be not disclose. I wish to remain under the radar
    Thank you all
    Alfred De Santis

14. mark775

mark775 Guest

"Geez, Mark, that's very interesting" Yes, interesting.

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Better to have Nom de Plume Syndrome than to have Zachary Syndrome.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.