Submarine Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kc135delta, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

More like the 100 knots thing from Russia..!In Japan they use the big trawler net to catch subs!:eek:

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Reckon we should get frequent photo updates of this project.

It's certainly a different concept to the normal, take the family boating on the weekend.

The Australian Navy lost a sailor when they submerged leaving a sailor on the deck. Don't forget a family head count before submerging. And that includes the Mother in Law.

3. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

And what is wrong with the US Subs proposals?

You don't want to ride around in an aquarium? Well - just what are you going to look at underway (each other!?) or the condensation on the hull-sides? Going to do 'Das Boot' re-enactments? 'Alarm! Alarm! - Torpedoes Los!'?

Seems as though US Subs have their 'stuff' together.

They also have some serious submersibles for sale - a 1000foot deep diver for 300K US - you could put that on the back of a retired trawler and go find the trench of your choice.

Just a side thought, while not a submarine - why not buy a retired dutch high-sea rescue vessel? They are long, low and slender - there is one on www.botenbank.nl for 60K€ - made from Corten steel with 'sail-like' steering station, huge diesel, go anywhere - very marine-industrial-groovy.

But then maybe your a troll...

1 person likes this.
  4. kc135delta

kc135delta Junior Member

For the most part I'll be in the N. Atlantic, there isn't anything to look at anyways and installing aquarium windows will just weaken the vessle's structural integrity. So why risk it?

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Then why not build the sub in your back yard. Same view and no risk.

1 person likes this.
  6. kc135delta

kc135delta Junior Member

If my backyard streched over to europe, that would be an option.

Back on topic please. that is if you would ever like to see this happen.

7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

I am on the list of the first supporter that want to see this done......... but then I am a bit crazy myself.

Have you seen the Walt Disney Cartoon ATLANTIS? The sub with the nice Globe?......... Glass tech is so improved that it can withstand hurracane and very hot flame and not crack................ You need a view galley Sir for the ladies viewing................:)

Althought you sir are using a similiar STD design why not make the sub pointy so drag will be less? I think you should build a sub base on the line of Whale Shark or Blue Whale................. It either thin or flat..........!

I know round is the most powerful shape against pressure..... but then.........

WDH

8. LostCause

LostCause New Member

This sounds like something Paul Allen would do...his 400ft+ Motor Yacht "Octopus" has more gadgets, trap doors, and hidden features than you can count.

Just realize that with diesel electric, your range will only be 300-400 miles submerged. Any lengthy passage will have to be done either under snorkel or on the surface (which is slower).

How do you plan on launching and storing the helicopter? If you plan to keep it inside the main body, then you'll need a hydraulic platform that will raise and lower the aircraft. A much simpler method would be to land the helicopter on the submarine and push it into a hanger incorporated into the sail. With that method, you'll give yourself an enormous amount on space inside the actual sub hull.

How will you navigate? Since GPS doesn't work under water, you'll need an intertial guidance system ($$$)...unless you plan to dead reckon or snorkel all the time.

Lastly, what is the benefit of having a personal, 300ft long submarine over a comparable yacht. If it's to stay incognito, a submerged submarine in the congested mediterranean sea seems like a hazard despite precautionary measures. To port, the vehicle will have to be afloat anyways. A $78 million yacht is going to be way more comfortable, safe, and economical than any submarine...

I like how you think different, though. :)

I'm pretty sure rounded or better yet, parabolic, noses are more efficient than pointy ones. You have probably the best idea mentioned here...incorporate as much of an old, tested, and engineered submarine into this personal vehicle as possible. The only way I can see a 300ft submarine being designed and built for ~$78 million is to take an already developed design and modify it. Ofcourse...I haven't built very many 300ft long submarines this year...:p

1 person likes this.
  9. hansp77

hansp77

I like it,
    and I second Welly on being someone who would like to see this happen.
    (if this is real)
    What I really don't get is your want for no windows.
    I mean that is like doing some fantastic cross continent road trip- in the boot.
    Fair enough you might not see a great deal other than sea- but that itself would be part of the beauty of it. The different colors, the different light that makes it through, fish, and other things.
    There would have to be a way to safely engineer some windows for the depths you plan to go.

I would just seem so pointless without this.

10. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi, I think I have located a builder who can do the whole thing pretty cheep.

11. Wellydeckhand

Better...... send him to Indonesia....... I can make him love the sea + local woman:D:D:D

12. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Ok, I'll bite....

With the exception of the Helo hatch and worker/construction QA this will be childs play for a design team I can assemble. Finances are the hard thing, actually the only hard thing besides the helo hatch. However you are in luck as several of the people I have in mind are retiring this year and may want to supplement thier income on a fun project.

You say you have the money....ok, lets talk. As a basic starting negoation point lets say a 10 man design team, 300k/year per man with a minimum of 5 year fixed prepaid contract, bonuses and housing are negoatiable. An office on site with suitable computing and clerical staff to be detailed at contract signing. All travel and per-diem as required for spec approval and QA oversight.

I you want to fly out and talk, you can e-mail me. I will not design this over the net, or play phone tag.

13. frosh

frosh Senior Member

That's a bit rich!

Hi Jehardiman, Is my math right? You want an upfront sum of $15 million plus bonuses and housing just for the design team. And you also don't know if you can design the Helo Hatch?? What would be the refund if it leaks?
    What are you going to charge to cut the first sheet of steel? :D

14. Wellydeckhand

I think should try the surplus and out of work Russian Scientist of long forgotten cold war......... cheap and professional........... maybe know where to get small dose of plutonium?:)

WDH

15. Wellydeckhand

Submarine for sale............ me worry? maybe build myself one later:)

http://www.b-americanboats.com/whiskeysub.html

Displacement: 1,050 tons surface: 1,350 submerged
    Length: 75.2m
    Width: 6.3m
    Drought: 4.9m
    Engines: 2 37D diesel engines 4,600 hp
    2 electrical engines 2,500 hp; 2 shafts
    Speed: 17 knots surface; 13.5 knots submerged
    Range: 12-15,000 miles
    Depth: 200 meters;
    Capacity: 56 Torpedo tubes (533 mm) bow-4, stern-2

Several "613" class submarines were rigged with 4 cruise missiles

Decommissioned in 1991

Price $497,000 USD
    Picture 1,2,
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Whiskey Class" Submarine was decommissioned in 1991. This submarine is open to many possibilities, including adventure tourism or active military service. It was rated to a depth of 200 meters or 650 Feet.

VESSEL IDENTIFIER: PI12

Price: U.S. $550,000.00

Picture 3,4,5,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.nauticalniche.com/undersea/integrity60sub.htm

PRICE SLASHED!
    IN HALF!

Reduced Price!: Was $4,000,000.00 NOW: $2,000,000.00
    Replacement Cost: $5,500,000.00

World-wide exclusive agent.

Classification: American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) + A1 Manned Submersible
    Certified by USCG as passenger vessel
    Inspected by American Society of Mechanical Engineers

Depth: Tested to 410 feet, Operational depth 246'
    Length: 68.5 feet Beam: 13.5'
    Draft: 9.6' Weight: 105 tons
    Speed: 3 knots Crew: Pilot, co-pilot
    Max. Persons 52 (including crew) Electrical 24V/960Ah & 248V/1200Hr
    Propulsion System: (6) main & auxiliary thrusters
    Life support: 72 hrs

General Layout: The pilot compartment forward has an approximately 5' diameter spherical window and is equipped with all operational, monitoring, and communication systems. The guest and passenger compartment is over 41.3 feet in length. It features 24 viewing ports approximately two foot in diameter located port and starboard. The cabin resembles the fuselage of a large aircraft with full headroom and aprox. 8 foot width. The mechanical control room is aft. Two (2) hatches facilitates the entry and exits.

Other Details: Complete alarm & monitoring system with full color, touch screen, LCD, flat screen display. Joy stick pilot control.

(2) UWT transceivers VHF Radio (1)
    Fathometer (2) Depth monitoring systems (2)
    Flux gate compass Magnetic compass
    Ballast & trim system Underwater lights
    Navigation lights CO2 scrubber unit
    Hydrogen scrubber unit Air-conditioning unit 48,000 btu/4 ton

Explorer 1000

2-passenger multi-role submersible
    $506,000 US

3-passenger version
    $638,000

Triton 650

2-passenger submersible
    $682,000

Discovery 1000

2-passenger configuration $1,320,000
    4-passenger configuration $1,540,000
    6-passenger configuration $1,705,000
    8-passenger configuration $1,925,000
    10-passenger configuration $2,145,000
    40 Kw diesel option, add $264,000
    Delivery time: 12 months

Marlin 1000

16-passenger version with head and galley $3,080,000
    Luxury private version $3,245,000
    Delivery time: 12 months

Nomad 1000

24-passenger tourist version $4,950,000
    36-passenger tourist version $5,720,000
    Luxury private version $5,280,000
    Extended luxury private version $5,940,000
    Delivery time: 14 months

Seattle 1000

Luxury private version, estimated at $21,670,000
    Required design fee for final construction cost quote $203,000
    Delivery time: 24 months

Phoenix 1000

Luxury private version, estimated at $84,800,000
    Required design fee for final construction cost quote $748,000
    Delivery time: 36 months

Notes: A wide variety of optional equipment is available, including high resolution color imaging sonar, Doppler sonar velocity navigation system, ultra-short baseline tracking system, 6-function remote manipulator, remote video cameras (standard & low light), side scan sonar, sub-bottom profiler, water sampler, diver umbilical, fish feeder, diver lock-out chamber, closed cycle synthetic atmosphere diesel. The applicability of the options is dependent on the submarine model. The Marlin and Nomad can have pressure hull extensions added for additional interior space. The Nomad, Seattle and Phoenix can be fitted with diver lock out capability. The Seattle and Phoenix class submarines are designed and engineered on a custom basis with the design and engineering preceding a firm construction price quote.

Picture 6,7,8,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.