Submarine driven by kites

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by schakel, Feb 28, 2014.

1. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Dump the kite idea. Gets some big harnesses and cooperative whales and you are good to go. Vocal whales would even hide noise - running silent would be a thing of the past and crew moral would be higher.

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Forget Whales.
    The Japanese will harpoon them and they have already tried to train Dolphins but they don't always do what they're told. As well as that animal rights people will want them to receive full pay. Be too expensive.

OK what about 2 cables under water that are electrified which will power the motors in the submarine to run along the cables. The electrolysis between the cables would produce Oxygen which would be return to the atmosphere.

Will you guys get serious here or what!!

Poida

3. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

Don't think so...:p

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Not always...

[​IMG]

http://www.karipearls.com/pearl-clamming.html

I seem to also remember a patent for an underwater sail, apparently ocean currents and wind currents are similar. Deep water currents can be much stronger than those on the surface and can even go in different or even opposite directions than those on the surface.

5. schakel

In the Netherlands they used to have "gierponten" (Can't find a nautical english translation) They were anchored in the middle of a river. and the anchor cable was supported by small steel boats towards the riverferry.
    After the last little steel boat the anchor cable was split to the two sides of the boat. With a winch the boat was being pulled in a position where it's lateral plane acted like a underwater sail. And it was propelled to the other side of the river. When the ferry came there, the cables were reversed in position of length and the Ferry went back to the other side.

No energy was needed other than the manual winches on the both sides of the boat. There is no such thing as a bow or an aft on a vessel like that.

Attached Files:

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That's pretty clever. Here, I've read of having a cable stretched all the way across the river and by angling the ferry this way or that, the current would propel it from one bank to the other. It was sometimes a problem for river traffic though, which the system you show pretty much eliminates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. schakel

Not entirely because when you sail into the triangle that the ferry makes with the shore you are trapped by a cable and a steel ferry with 4 knots of current. When it would happen with my first sailing boat (a wooden Schakel) I would have lost her. I sailed on the Rhine for 15 years next to a ferry with cables but the incident I descibed never happened to me. But due to other incidents they made the ferry without cables and propellor / diesel driven.
    Engines on both sides.. Isn't cheap but hey.. It's only government money.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.