Check out this used boat (Ranger 22)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Canracer, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

This Ranger 22 is for sale and it's very close to me. It sat unused for many years and the current owner says that it took on some rain water.

Some damage is obvious. Please take a look and tell me what you see.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It looks like the deck will need to be re-cored. The bulkheads need repair or replacement. If you can do the work, materials are not too expensive.

3. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I'm not sure how the decks are constructed. It's my understanding that the Ranger 22 is one of the earlier boats to be build using carbon fiber. Wish I knew more about the construction.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's important to find out which one you have, Brazilian or USA built. These old IOR mini's seem to be everywhere now. Some are in great shape, others flogged to death. The Brazilian versions where more poorly built, though they made more of them, compared to Jensen Marine (Ranger under the Mull designs), who considered it conflicting with other models and destroyed the molds fairly quickly after they moved to Florida in the early 80's.

My understanding is she is a balsa decked boat with a shoebox sheer flange and an iron keel. Bedding break down, as you'd imagine, causes huge issues in time if neglected, which this one seems to be. Good examples of these don't bring much and poor ones are darn hard to move. Simply put I know of a half a dozen Ranger 33's and most are in the $4 - $7 k range, in fairly good shape, so you can guess the price of a neglected 22.

5. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The asking price is 1,500 but I'm sure the owner would consider less. The first number that jumps into my mind is 500. (No trailer, no cradle, missing cushions, years of neglect, and obvious structural damage.)

6. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The missing ply around the companionway doesn't concern me much. Maybe someone tried to kick in the washboards during a burglary attempt. What looks strange is the area under the side deck where it doesn't line up with the bulkhead (above the radio.)

[​IMG]

7. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Did the bulkhead move away from the boat or did the boat move away from the bulkhead?

8. PAR

Where are the chain plates in relation to the aft cabin bulkhead? What's the shroud tension? Does the sheer look hogged? (etc.) Unless the boat comes with a nice and well equipped inventory, this might be a landfill jig. If the sails look pretty nice, you could sell them to one of several used sail lofts and recover maybe more than the purchase costs.

9. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I'd really like to have a good look around this boat. I might be able to arrange something this weekend but the owner has been difficult to work with via emails. I don't understand that mind set. Writing a short and professional email seams easy enough to me.

Lately I requested to see an image of the builder's plate with the serial number, and also wanted to know the vessel's name (on the transom,) but I have yet to receive a response. I am always leery of Craig's List transactions, but if your going to offer a keel boat for sale, you should be willing to play the game. Especially when your "cheap" boat is, in reality, the most expensive boat listed.

Thank you PAR for checking it over. I will eyeball the sheer, check the shrouds and see if the stick is straight up and down (if I ever get to it.) The marina isn't far and I could always roll in for a "walk by."

Based on the info I've gathered thus far: The boat has an original set of sails that were "reconditioned" by the current owner (I'm guessing that means washed.) Also the CO said he replaced some lines and some blocks ("for racing".) The 4 horse outboard shows corrosion and the 40 year old upholstery is incomplete.

I don't see how this boat has any value in it's current condition. That being said, it might make a fun little project for the right person.

10. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The serial number is RAYBOO37M78C. Not sure if this means made in Brazil or made in USA.

Attached Files:

11. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I did get a chance to visit the boat and I had a close look around the deck and below. This hull has not been out of the water for at least 12 years and the CO is in no mood to pull it now.

Here are some pictures. I thought it might be fun to share them here so that others could have a look at an older unmaintained Ranger 22.

Here, the fiberglass is cracked around the rudder post.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

All the interior paint is falling off in sheets.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

RAYB0037M78C
    [​IMG]

"Strong Rot" is the only way to describe the smell. Lots if the interior wood has transformed into slime, or dust.

More pictures to follow.

12. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

In the 7th picture there is a Mercury outboard. Is it working well? That could be worth $350-650 itself (my guess).

13. PAR

Again, unless you can find some value in it's sails, equipment and a good price, enough to warrant breaking her up, just look someplace else. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the sequence number portion of the HIN was prefixed with a B on the south American built Rangers. This are the ones you don't want, from my notes.

14. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Well, it's a 13 year old 4hp that shows some corrosion around where the lower unit and the midsection mate. I don't know much about outboards so I'm unsure of it's value. Check out the case near the bottom of the image. (Also note that the prop and skeg are not shown and I doubt that's by accident.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

15. Petros

Petros Senior Member

even if the boat was free, it looks like buying one in good sea worthy condition for $4000 would be a bargain. I have seen desperate sellers of similar boats in great shape for as low as $2500, they had to move out of state to find work and were behind on their slip fees.

There are few things you can afford less than a "free" boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.