sub build underway christmas 2011

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tugboat, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks Bataan.

If this is supposed to re-assure me about home-made submarines - it doesn't quite do it.

If this is supposed to impress me with Chinese capability - it doesn't do it either.

It looks like everything I ever bought that was Chinese made, assembled by badly paid, poorly trained sweatshop labourers where every gram of material had to be dragged screaming out of the raw materials inventory, and designed by the 'Board of Directors'

As soon as I see any project (from submarines to software) announced where they quote the final build price and performance before any formal designs are complete - I know its all a pile of steaming ...... rice!!!!

3. BPL

BPL Senior Member

4. Lister

Lister Previous Member

You can use only dynamic diving. It's safer, far more simpler.
    To surface just stop the sub.
    The main problem is the the longitudinal stability. But with fast trimming tank, as small as possible, it can be OK.
    Keeping the submerged volume high and the freeboard of the pressure hull very small help. A second hull for the shape and the deck and conning tower. The conning tower to protect the main hatch.
    The seasickness is very painful, vomiting inside is horrible for the other. A Snorkel system can be the way for constant ventilation.
    A Swedish guy just has sea trial with is sub, a real success. great engineering.
    I my own opinion go for it, it is not rocket science. Just don't take chance, be prudent, and don't take anything for granted. If you read something, verified from at least three sources. And try top go diving on one of the Navy Sub.

5. gundagai

gundagai Junior Member

Lets not start on the racist remarks here I for one like those little china men and women working so hard for me supplying my clothes. Take off all your chinese clothes and see what you are wearing..... Look at all the nude people all arround the world......I rest my case and for another my grandaughter is part chinese and Im proud of her. Who in this world is not a bitsa.

6. BPL

BPL Senior Member

It's not a racist statement gundagai. China has dominated the market at large by producing the most inexpensive goods not the highest quality or safest or best warrantied goods.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Who's racist ????? I was talking about their design and manufacturing industry.

8. gundagai

gundagai Junior Member

This maybe have been the case but believe me things are changing. Look at there new Longwall motor car maybe even there electric boats for the price of $2000 for a thirteen foot boat landed in Australia. Then there is the radio control gear I got from them good stuff. Now back to the building of a concrete sub...

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yeah - all the good designers are moving their manufacturing to Chinese factories .... that will require supervision and quality control, so things will have to improve. The backlash from warranty claims by major overseas retailers helps too.

There IS no concrete sub building ... there are only vain attempts to show it might be possible, by quoting poor quality metal submarine examples from a country that makes cement mixers that have rattling bearings when new.

One day a concrete sub builder who has had an engineered hull designed, with all the plans for the ballast, steering, air supply etc specced and drawn in advance will post ..... hahahahahaha

10. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Ive heard those arguments a hundred times before about fc.--first the sub was to have a 12 inch thick hemi endcaps. the penetrations would have ben quite easy--don the same way as on the uc3 nautiuls using o-ring or AHP seals good to around 200 psi do the math thats around 300 ft--and no different than a certified kittredge subs problems...so there is no isssues there--yea im ignoring it because it is a grasping at straws argument...fc is easily bonded to by epoxy-however-- using the polymer cement it bonds to itself easily too...wedling vs epoxy-
    half of one six of another

...no fuel bottles air tanks etc--its one atm no need for those--all water is pumped using high volume low pressure on the surface and high pressure low volume to change levels beneath also using dive planes -its not hard to understand..this is gettign boring..if others cannot see the simplicity of it...remember ITS NOT A MILITARY SUB so erase what you know about them and think simplicity in a civil concept...
    ive seen steel boats just as broken on beaches too run aground etc,...doesnt matter the material its who skippers it. and the decision made. steel has it own inherent problems...like rusting out. decreasing strength due to rusting and high mainenance unlike fc. the forces of a fc sub submerged are not like fc on the suirface--on the surfacve the boat must flex more and fc tradtionally flexes to a high degree...making it elastic and absorbing the stresses...

yea agreed ferr-cement can last a long time why i like it...i use a bit heavier armiture than standard ferr...but not enough to cause "diminished dispersal" in the armiture. ive done some destrucive testing- but those types u speak of are just too unknown variables to be worth doing...sopund judgement to run one is stay away from shallows if the skipper is smart.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

having read along for a while it seems pretty obvious that no real cyclical testing of metal concrete interface has been done, it just doesn't seem reasonable to insist of this material when it remains untested. The hatches through hulls and a number of attachment points are going to have to be metal as apposed to concrete. They not only expand and contract at different rates but also deform at different rates under pressure. So how would it possibly not leak within a very short period of time.

Looks to me like metal is the only material of choice

and even if we are suddenly talking about a metal sub I'm still just not seeing any viable proposal.

Drawings ?????
    a few sketches ?????

might be a good idea if your seriously thinking of exploring the idea.

12. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

oh--and what math havent i done?...you mean creep and hoop stresses for internal pressure?..or do you mean angular deflections for corrugated pipes or windings as mentioned before? or maybe the volumetric numbers. the youngs modulous of elasticity in comparison with steel given a steel comparison??..ill post the equations: its quite easy math ..
    mr watson my old nemisis good to see you--you always have a way of finding me..
    ok so calculate the needed cubic footage of water to displace the hull to 9/10's of iots given ballast requirements to keep her neutral surfaced???...i can do that for you if you like?
    or the comparison between the strength of the hull at 10 000 psi in relation to the depth..etc...or the yeild points of steel at 3/4 inch thick vs ferro at the same but with using ring frames spaced 1 ft intervals and the resistnce needed for that??? i can go on ad infinitum...

13. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

your funny watson- ellmer succeeded- its built--yes not launched --but with 30 inches of wall thickness and the fact that the pressure of at depth will seal that concrete up like its in a vice..??..it would work i have no doubts -but that thickness uses alot of space better to use a composite fc construcyion--ahhh the debate continues...
    rememebr im not trying to sell mine i just want a working model...

14. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Good.

As you say,

Have you posted any drawings of what you plan to build?

Or shall we wait for your video of your first trip?

15. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

already explored it for three to five years-how long have you explored it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.