African Queen Plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rob98801, Jan 19, 2005.

1. rob98801

rob98801 New Member

Looking for plans of the African Queen. Plans needed to build large scale model.... 1/4 scale for live steam project.

Thanks in advance
    William

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

I don't know about plans but I remember seeing a model (about 1/4 scale) at a restaraunt bar in Annapolis. The place was at the very end of Town creek. The plaque claimed that it was the very model used in making the movie. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place.

3. artemis

artemis Steamboater

No plans exist. The boat was purchased by the movie company as a semi-derelict in Africa (the steam plant was a mockup - it was powered in the movie by a "hidden" gas engine) and after the movie was left to rust away. It was rescued sometime in the 1970s and brought to the US and converted to steam. It has changed hands a number of times and was last seen at the Key Largo Hotel marina in Florida. The website ...africanqueen.com has been down for over a year. The boat had extensive work done in the late 1990s by Beckmann Boatshop in Rhode Island. You can find them with a Google search. Maybe the owner Walter Beckmann, or his son Lloyd, can help you.

Ron Fossum

4. rob98801

rob98801 New Member

a good three view would also work if it had a few measurements.

again Thanks
    William

5. artemis

artemis Steamboater

I can only reiterate what I said about contacting the Beckmanns'. This is a link to their website with info about the African Queen: http://www.steamboating.net/page31.html The ball's in your court.

Ron Fossum

6. rob98801

rob98801 New Member

Thanks for the reply...yes I did refer onward the information about the site and Beckmann Boatshop....

once again thank you for your reply and time..
    William

7. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

8. artemis

artemis Steamboater

There was a real African Queen

The steamboat in the attached "postcard" could certainly have served as a model for the African Queen. Taken in the French (not Belgian) Congo, ca. WW I.

Ron Fossum

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.