Stupid question-Glass to gelcoat bond?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Itchy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Use a 3 or 4 inch natural bristle brush and don't let the gel coat build up in the corners. A thick coat applied with a brush will be about 10 mils thick, so you'll need to apply at least 2 coats. After a couple of tries you should get the hang of it.

2. Itchy

Itchy Junior Member

What are some pros and cons of brushing and spraying?

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Cons

Uneven gel coat thickness, slow if doing more than a very small part, not a good method for anything but low volume production.

Pros

No investment in equipment, less setup time for a small part, no over spray.

In some countries they're not allowed to spray gel coat, so rolling and brushing are common, it does work, but there's a learning curve.

4. Itchy

Itchy Junior Member

Thanks for all the info guys. This should give me enough to get this started.

Now I wonder how many pieces I will screw up until I get this right.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.