Studing WIG (Wing In Ground Effect)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Geob, Nov 22, 2006.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Are you refering to the "comments" section? or some other news source?

http://www.unitedijawstates.com/maps.htm

3. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Mr kach22i. Thanks for your kind reply. I am just examining what I have to do with my new WIG when looking at info around. Any way you may contact me at andrewvasilakis@yahoo.co.uk. Sincerely AV

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

5. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Many thanks for your advice. The aquarduct craft is very interesting to examine. It has a very good future. Sure I shall find useful ideas there.
    We are a little team working around new WIG idea.The WIG I am building is different. Even the outlook is another. The 1 to 10 scale model is in progres. The 1 to 1 scale model may be on the water next 2008 summer.

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

7. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Thanks. The model is a very good idea. A little bit strange around stability in the air. I shall contact Mr Denny soon around his idea to have a conversation.
    My WIG is different but some aquaduckt ideas may be usefull. First of all the hull is pure wing like at aqdckt. Another point is the only water start. I shall make tests first to be sure all the points are OK aroung real boat-WIG.

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Not a WIG, but someone is using a hovercraft to get around in a similar way to the Nigerian proposal.

http://www.hoveraid.co.uk/about.html
    [​IMG]

9. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Sir. Thanks for your note. H is a perfect solution for Nigerian delta. She is much more practical there then pure WIG boat. The gulf oil industry of Nigerian region is the mauil aspect and economical reasons are on the top.
    On the other hand H are very usefull for rescue operations.
    Do you produce Hovers?
    Do you poduce H suitable for this activity? Range deteles?
    Sincerely, Skippervs

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Hovercraft is only a hobby at this time, I did a Google search and found this:

http://www.griffonhovercraft.com/3000.html
    [​IMG]

I think the Nigerian Police use a smaller version by the same company, but I could be wrong.

Another information source:
    http://www.hovercraft.co.za/addvantage.asp

You can get manufacturers infomation from the many hovercraft clubs across the world, or just do a Google search.

http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/
    http://www.airlifthovercraft.com/

http://www.hover-shuttle.com/

http://www.atlashovercraft.com/

EDIT........................................................

Very long, very good.............even if I don't understand the language.

KM Caspian Sea Monster ekranoplane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE0H-NFupqY

11. DFV

DFV Junior Member

How about this?

Attached Files:

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Awesome looking, is that your own work?

Where did it come from?

Will it work?

13. DFV

DFV Junior Member

14. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Fantastic machine! I am learning her carefully. Thanks Mr DFV

15. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

This is a skethch from Russia. Have a look at something new too.

ekranoplan KASATKA-5

We work under WIG with essentially new aerodynamic scheme. Only the new approach enables practical use WIGs as important transport in 21 century. WIG unlike river and sea vessels moves not on water, and above it. Flight is carried out with use of an air pillow (ground effect) on distance from a surface. WIG's speed can be more than 150 km/h. The flight on WIG is very comfortable - there are no pushes and "air holes". It will be possible to operate our machine without air preparations. WIGs occupy a transport niche between planes and sea/river vessels. They are more economic than planes and considerably surpass sea and river vessels in speed. WIGs don't need roads and special air stations. They can all-the-year-round be maintained, round the clock. That is why WIGs are a perspective vehicle. They can to change position in a transport infrastructure of the world, as in due time steam locomotives and cars. Actually, for today, in global business there is paradoxical situation when free niches from a competition are not filled, and in the same in already occupied niches the competition is extremely severe. Occupation of niches civil WIGs and transportations on WIG promises stable high profit.

Our perspective WIG «Kasatka-5» is the civil four-seater flying machine (FM) of new generation. «Kasatka-5» - a high-grade seaplane, but it can fly and as WIG. In this case it spends twice less fuel and able to fly further. Unique characteristics of our WIG are achieved due to application of the new aerodynamic scheme. It has allowed to lower dimensions of WIG in comparison with planes of similar capacity. Owing to some original know-how we could simplify a design and increase reliability. Also in WIG following results are realized :

* spacious four-seater interior with the good review for the pilot and passengers;
    * the system of heating/air-conditioning will allow to maintain WIG in different climatic conditions;
    * used composit materials and qualitative wood; application of wood considerably reduces the cost price of a product and increases a resource in comparison with plastic;
    * high parity commercial loading/body weight - more than 50 %; the majority of planes and cars have no more than 30 %;
    * can be equipped wheel, ski or combined removed chassis .
    * equipped by compartments of buoyancy from fire-resistant polyfoam;
    * opportunity of use both widely widespread automobile engine, and opportunity to install other engine at will of the customer.

Models:

Kasatka-1

Coming soon (WIG under construction) The maximal take-off weight of 2500 kg. (6250 pounds)
    Weight empty 1000 kg. (2500 pounds)
    Height of flight up to 2 m. (about 6 foots)
    Range of flight of 1500 km. (about 930 miles)
    Cruiser speed of 160 km/h (100 miles/hours)
    Engines 2х120 h.p.
    The charge of fuel at height of 0,5 m. (2 foots) – 20 litres/100 km. (about 6 gallons/60 miles)
    Kasatka-3

Coming soon (WIG under construction ) The maximal take-off weight of 8000 kg (20000 pounds)
    Weight empty 3500 kg (8750 pounds)
    Height of flight up to 20 m (about 60 foots)
    Range of flight of 3500 km. (about 2170 miles)
    Cruiser speed of 250 km/h (about 155 miles/hours)
    Engines 2х360 h.p.
    The charge of fuel at height of 2 m (6 foots) - 60 litres/100 of km ( about 16 gallons/60 of miles).
    Kasatka-5

The maximal take-off weight of 800 kg (2000 pounds).
    Weight empty 400 kg. (1000 pounds)
    Height of flight up to 2000 m. (6000 foots)
    Range of flight of 1500 km. (about 930 miles)
    Cruiser speed of 160 km/h (about 100 miles/hour)
    The engine 100 h.p.
    The charge of fuel at height of 0,3 m. - about 10-13 litres/100 km (3,5gallon/60 miles)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.