Studing WIG (Wing In Ground Effect)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Geob, Nov 22, 2006.

1. martekcy

martekcy New Member

Its great coming on board for the first time( today being my birthday) after several years of knowing and using this site, especially during the old good years of my undergraduate studies. Well I am martekcy, a marine engineer/small craft surveyor/researcher with interest in invention especially the types of vessels I call the "UNUSUAL VESSELS". Well, I have gone through your very invaluable contributions on the development of WIGS. Right now I will make little or know contribution about WIGS but to advice us to look into the analytical and experimental considerations. To GEOB, I am just as interested as you are and will really want to work with you from conception stage through to launching. Perhaps I should build my first experimental WIG before June next year. Contact me at martekcy@yahoo.com. I hope to be sending more info as long as the business of the day does not take me too far from the net.:cool:

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The image I posted earlier is not my work, which is why I provided a link to it, sorry.

This is that same site in English (my language):
    http://www.neuform-composites.de/NEUFORM_HOME_E/Aviation/aviation.html

If you click that link you can see a hovercraft at the bottom. That's my main interest hovercraft.

I like WIG hovercraft combonations because they have a cushion of air to land on and are safer because they are typically designed for lower take off speeds and crusing speeds.

Links to such a craft (UH-18SPW Hoverwing):
    http://www.hovercraft.com/content/i...ath=53&zenid=96f6d8e5689fc47afa350a86605de3e6

And the super-cool 19XRW Hoverwing:
    http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

The links above have video and specs as well as pictures.

3. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Hi, Geob. You may find info around old Russian WIG boat for 2 pers.It was published some 25-30 years ago. She was in the air for a very long time and had no dammagies.
    Another sample vas designed and basin tested just half a year ago in Kiev. The boat have very special hull's bottom. This may be the idea for you. Regards

4. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Hi, Mr Martekcy. What kind of WIOG boat you are going to build?

5. RatliffFranklin

RatliffFranklin Previous Member

Drag

"Mostly because the air drag at sea level is far higher than at jet cruising altitudes."

Actually, it's just the reverse. Do a Google search using Boeing and Pellican.

6. martekcy

martekcy New Member

Thanks skippervs, I have been away for some time, trying to study 3d cads which will assist me in rural community development design project.
    My initial plan was to design from fundamental principle- an innovative roadable Hoverwig. The target is to integrate rural(riverine)-urban migration transport medium into one piece high speed machine for areas in the oil & gas rich riverine villages of the Niger Delta area of Nigeria, who up till now are purely rural dwellers with no hope of getting a tarred road ( I mean this people have no access to urban areas except by local boats). The hoverwig should be fully amphibious with capability to be used as tricycle on tarred roads as well over big rivers. Nevertheless it should be very affordable. I hope to make a livelihood out of it.
    What do you think? Your opinions are highly welcomed as it will give more courage to describe further my design consideration.

7. RatliffFranklin

Amphibs

I think some form of amphibious tracked vehicle might be more suitable, as well as easier to engineer. Maybe something incorporating pontoons on outriggers.

Instead of just two large tracks like a tank or mobile crane, I'd also consider designs that incorporate multiple smaller tracks using snowmobile components.

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I would not expect dirt poor farmers to be able to support high speed anything.

Time is money, which is why in Manhattan NYC has a lot of high speed ferries (just an example), plus of course people to support such networks.

Ferry Information
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/masstran/ferries/ferintro.html

If you need to transport a goat, a cow, mail order bride or sick child; I just see traditional methods being far more economical.

When time is money, you need speed.

Other means..........................

Dakar Rally:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakar_Rally

9. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Air dencity is not very important at low speed like 30-60 kts and one may spend not so much less fuel when sailing WIG at a slow spd. To use WIG one have to be very experienced driver- skipper- pilot.

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I'm throwing myself into this problem for a minute, as I wish to understand the environment.

Nigeria, Niger Delta
    [​IMG]
    http://encarta.msn.com/media_461538808_761557915_-1_1/Niger_Delta_Nigeria.html
    The Niger River enters Nigeria from the northwest, crossing the western part of the country to join the Atlantic Ocean in the south. Near the coast, the river forms this delta with mangrove forests, lagoons, and swamps stretching about 100 km (about 60 mi) inland. The Niger Delta is the largest in Africa, covering an area of about 36,000 sq km (about 14,000 sq mi).

[​IMG]
    http://www.unitedijawstates.com/maps.htm
    The Niger Delta, arguably the most beautiful delta, is the third largest delta in the world.

I assume you will be running into gunboats and pirates, it might be best to have speed to escape, not sure if I'd want the experience of being shot out of the sky though.

WIG, hovercraft or airboat for over water, and wheeled or tracked vehicle over land still seems best. I don't think you could do both with one vehicle very well.

11. RatliffFranklin

Airboats

Airboats would fulfill the high speed requirement.

On sand or grass airboats also have an all terrain capability.

In fact, even on pavement the speed record for airboats is almost 50 mph!

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The only downside is they eat a lot more fuel than a hovercraft.

I know a guy spending some time and money on a similar problem. I told him what he needs is a hovercraft (or airboat) which can perform with a loaded motorcycle on board. He can then take the motorcycles engine and chain driven wheels including brakes and make them retractable in some manner. As you can see there will be even less room for useable payload/workload all of which equals lost profits.

13. RatliffFranklin

14. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Looks like pirots are the main prob and the question is mero complecated then just delivery from and to. Right?

15. skippervs

skippervs Junior Member

Sailors try to sail S. Africa- Central America via the middle of the Atl Ocean. Its more sequre in the sea. It is not sure that the speed could help to save life in N when you are sailing in estuary. So,WIGs are good idea for the region in some restrictions if to concider previous letters. Right?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.