Stuart Turner 8hp 2 stroke. Freind or foe?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by hansp77, Apr 5, 2006.

1. hansp77

hansp77

Hello all.
    The 30ft marine ply yacht I have just bought (see other thread),
    has an old Stuart Turner 8 hp 2 stroke petrol inboard.
    The electric start works well,
    the engine leaks a tiny bit of oil into a preplaced icecream container (maybe a teaspoon in there)
    it runs well and sounds great.

From the different brief opinions I have heard across the net I have identified two distinct streams,

1. It is a great old reliable engine, simple and well designed.

2. The best use for this thing is as a mooring for your dingie.

Anyone care to clarify this for me?
    anyone had one?
    Plusses and minusses?
    Thanks.
    Hans.

2. BCM

BCM Junior Member

3. Tony Shorrocks

Tony Shorrocks New Member

You still want thoughts on a stuart turner double banger? I have had one in my plywood tub for 27 years and have learnt a little that may save you the hassle of changing it!

4. hansp77

hansp77

Hello tony,
    yes indeed I would still like to hear thoughts on my stuart turner double banger.
    At present I am working on the deck and cabin of my plywood BEAUTY (Ha, she don't look that pretty at the moment) but once she is back in the water, then I am going to start cleaning up the engine.
    It seems to work just fine. It had a total rebuild about 6 years ago, and as far as I know has been used very lightly since.
    Luckily it came with the original manual.
    I would gladly welcome any information that you may have to help me use and maintain this enginge.
    Thanks.
    Hans.

5. Tony Shorrocks

1 person likes this.
  6. Tony Shorrocks

have sent largish attachment hope you can get it

7. hansp77

hansp77

I got it,
    thanks Tony,
    I shall read it now.
    Hans.

8. hansp77

hansp77

Ok.
    Tony,
    My engine has a dynastart, which as i understand is the charger too.
    It also has a forward and reverse gear box, where in nuetral the prop spins freely (i think) and where the accelerator is does not take affect until a gear is engaged.

One thing I heard arround the tracks was someone saying that you can use the hot water that comes out of the enging for whatever purpose one might have with a bucket of hot salty water. Dishes? Warm ones frosty feet?

Is this so?
    is it actually clean enough?
    My water outlet is piped into the exhaust a few inches before in leaves the stern.
    Because of the cabing under the poop deck where this is located, it would be very easy for me to set up some sort of tap mechanism, and possibly a second outlet so that I could collect this hot water out the back, free from exhaust fumes.

Freezing should not be a problem here, as while it gets cursedly cold windy and damp down south here in Melbourne, it never quite freezes, except up in our mountains (I always wish that it snowed here, at least it gets that bone invading damp out of the air).
    One thing of concern is that I have had the boat out of water for a couple of weeks now, and undoubtably will have it out for a couple more.
    I think that the water inlet tap was turned on when we were lifted out, so I assume that all the water drained out.
    Is this something to worry about?

Thanks again.

P.S.
    what are the problems you have been having with this forum?
    and of course welcome.
    I am reasonably new here, and already, quite thoroughly addicted.
    Hans.

9. Tony Shorrocks

dynastart is usually trouble free. as it's easily removable it can also easily be checked.
    Magneto troubles. It is what's known as a "Lucas Racing Magneto" if it is a Lucas one and it can alos be found on motorbikes - keep the contacts clean, and above all make sure the two moments of trigger are exactly at 180 degrees from each other. I have known them be able to be timed for one cylinder or the other, but not both!
    Depending on the size and pitch of your prop there may be less resistance when sailing by locking the engine in gear (despite this being counter - intuitive). And doing this saves all sorts of wear on your prop shaft bearings and gearbox if you sail long distances. (Last summer with a new mainsail in rough weather I was sailing so fast I was able to bump start the engine several times......!) The oil in the gearbox is very crucial - keep it full and clean. Do not "feather" the gears when manoevering, this will destroy the ability to change gears. It's either in gear, or out. Think dog clutch and 1920's technology and driving style!
    Water may well not have drained out just because the inlet was open - take the pump tops off and you will see why. The plungers in it - assuming you have this type - will stop the back draining very effectively.
    And yes the water, uncontaminated with exhaust, is a very useful resource on board, and just as clean as what goes in. It's actually unusual to have it going out of the exhaust anyway - mine, and most of the other installations I have seen simply have a dry exhaust and a completely different bunch of tubes for the water. Some boats even used to have a two way switch so that bilge water can be sucked out by the engine.
    27 years ago I had a friend re-build my P55 - he so worshipped these engines that he had the two main roller bearings displayed on his mantelpiece for six weeks and delayed its installation by so doing. They are made of the highest quality materials; bronze, copper, high grade cast iron etc that they can have an almost unlimited life - if they are understood. Some people never seem to get in sympathy with them; others just use them and wonder what the fuss is about. Here's hoping you will be one of those!

2 people like this.

10. hansp77

hansp77

I think that I shall install that second outlet for the water.
    It should be very easy to do. and hot clean water shall be a blessing.

I am pretty sure that my my dynastart is a lucas. Next time I am there I will check.

My prop is really quite small, and two bladed, though I am not sure how to judge the pitch.
    The guy that owned my boat before me used to race it everywhere (winning a lot) so I assume that he had it set up for minimum drag.
    Thanks.
    Hans.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.