Sailing Shanty Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Angélique, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

№ one of this thread was found on Pinterest — pic 1pic 2

No designer details were given there, the Oyster turns out to be William Garden design #617-B, a L 24½' (7.47 m) × B 8' (2.44 m) × D 1½' (0.46 m) scow barge sailing yacht, from the below drawings estimated headroom from the top of the cabin sole to the inside of the roof is ± 5½' (1.68 m) between the deck beams, and ± 6½' (1.98 m) below the booby hatch just in front of the companionway ladder, she seems to have a bit of a V-bottom, hence the cabin sole is a bit raised at center I think. Hull #1 was built by Peter London in his shop in Sidney, British Columbia, Canada, in 3½ months by 2 professionals in workboat style.

Sailing Shanty Boat William Garden Design 617 B OYSTER 24.5 ft scow barge yacht mystic seaport 2.jpg
    Sailing Shanty Boat William Garden Design 617 B OYSTER 24.5 ft scow barge yacht mystic seaport 1.jpg
    (large)

Some info from: Mystic Seaport MuseumResearch PlansWilliam Garden Collection (Ships Plans Collection 96)

‘‘ 96.500 OYSTER 24.5' scow barge yacht Designer: William Garden, design #617-B Builder: Peter London, Sidney B.C. Date: made after 10-1979 ’’

P.S. - Full plans can be ordered from the Mystic Seaport Museum, I hope...

RequestsShips PlansCollectionsFor BuildersDaniel S. Gregory Ships Plans Library

‘‘ Sets of plans for many vessels are now available from the Ships Plans Store. Copies of plans for many more vessels are available on custom order from the Daniel S. Gregory Ships Plans Library. ’’

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Love the sail emblem.

3. Angélique

Maybe the Oyster sail emblem is an stalk eyed mud crab / macrophthalmus mated with an oyster, seen edge on . . ?

Sail Emblem Stalk Eyed Mud Crab Hemiplax Macrophthalmus mated with an Oyster.jpg

P.S. - Does anybody know what it says in front of "inside ballast" at the bottom of the last post #1 drawing . . ?

William Garden 617-B Oyster what does it say in front of inside ballast.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Fit 1800 pounds inside ballast???

Angélique likes this.
  5. Angélique

Thanks Phil, Fit - 1800 and the # sign for pound didn't cross my mind, but it sure sounds like an realistic interpretation of the text . . :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  6. Angélique

Some old threads with dead links and gone images (the same ones as posted here I think) about the William Garden Oyster.

WoodenBoat forum: OYSTER (Wm Garden 24-ft "liveaboard" scow sloop)post #3 by Steve...
    NomadicistaBoatsOysterpost #6 by Sea Gypsy...
    Sea Gypsy, if you ever come across this, please post an update here about getting the plans, and on your intended Oyster build.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  7. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

A couple lived aboard a heavily customized 21' 9" (6.63 m) Drascombe Longboat Cruiser and cruised the Med for 8 years in it while doing some side jobs on land along the route, then they planned to do a world tour like that, but were forced out of the idea by a back injury caused by one of the land jobs.

I've posted some links to it on the thread Real Ocean News in post #127 to #135, this story is in post #128 there.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  8. NomadOmad

NomadOmad Junior Member

Drascombes are still being made, you can order a new one from Churchouse boats

A II likes this.
  9. A II

Discontinued production as mentioned on the thread ‘Real Ocean News’ in the posts #131 to #135 was only about the Drascombe Longboat, Drascombe Longboat Cruiser and Drascombe Coaster, as explicitly stated in post #131 there.

10. Quidnic

Quidnic Junior Member

Sorry I misunderstood

yes the longboat cruiser is now the coaster, little bit better cabin

A II likes this.
  11. A II

Actually it was me who was not up to date about the current Drascombe range, I now see the open Longboat and the Coaster with cabin are back in production, good news, thanks for the info !

The D22 is designed by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher, the rest the range are originals as designed by the late John Watkinson, all are good boats . . :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020

12. NomadOmad

NomadOmad Junior Member