Epoxy Question

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rogerball0, Apr 3, 2013.

1. rogerball0

rogerball0 Junior Member

Been laying under my boat washing & sanding epoxy (wests) and got thinking, i know non-blushing epoxies exist such as MAS and Raka but does such an epoxy system exist where it dries back matt. Or conversely is there a matting agent that exists to aid adhesion rather than peel ply-ing or washing and sanding.

It seems to me the majority of my time is spent washing and sanding, i know some will say just use peel ply but working alone covering large areas takes alot of effort and in the last few instances i have used peel ply i've come in the next day to see the peel ply had bubbled off in places.

cheers roger

www.agentlemansyacht.com

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

As stated peel ply works but can be troublesome for a singlehander.

I would use peel ply. To make it easier dont work with large pieces ,cut the ply into many smaller pieces and apply in a logical patchwork. After the ply is pulled only a small bit of sanding in needed.

Sandblasting is a typical production method for keying epoxy. If you know a blaster...have a chat.

3. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

no matt finished epoxies....

use wax paper or plastic film over the wet epoxy

paul
    progressive epoxy polymers inc

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Wax paper isn't choice I'd recommend. I've seen the exotherm melt the wax, contaminate the surface and ruin secondary bonds. Plastic film and nylon are the usual choices. Singehanding surface sheeting goods is a chore. Contact Paul at Progressive Epoxy and get some non-blushing goo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.