Rack & Pinion Jacking arrangment

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by conceptia, May 25, 2010.

1. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Hello guys, do any of you have any idea of rack and pinion jacking arrangement of Jackup rigs. Is there any particular rule criterion for the design of the same? If so, please share. There hadn't been a new topic for a while so thought of discussing something new I heard about.
    I also attach a diagram of the same.:D

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Jacks work in a lot of different ways. I am going to build a set of jacks to raise a boat on/off a trailer or stands. Simplicity of design is important because jacks often sit outdoors in the weather and they must perform safely when needed.
    That drawing looks a little complicated, but then I don't understand its particular usage, so maybe you can explain.

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

4. HReeve

HReeve Junior Member

The Class Society Rules for jacking systems are more goal-based rather than prescribing a specific design. Class just wants to verify that the system has the stated holding capacity.

There are only a few manufacturers, each with their own design, and they are very tight with the details. Even as a NA working on the design of legs for a liftboat, they are hesitant to give us the performance information that we need to properly model the jacking system stiffness in FEA.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

6. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Reeve, in case of a dumb barge functioning for drilling support do we have to do the FE analysis? Also, if the legs are cylindrical(not trussed legs) how will the gearing system be looking like?

7. Anoop_ODL

Anoop_ODL Anoop

Conceptia, FE analysis to be done to confirm structural adequacy - dumb barge or not.
    There are mainly two types of cyl legs; one with racks welded to two sides, the other with hydraulic jacking system.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.