Strucell cross linked pvcfoam china

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by guzzis3, Nov 6, 2018.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I have recently become aware of this pvc foam.

Changzhou Utek Composite Co., Ltd. https://www.utekcomposites.com/product/Structural-Foam-Cross-Linked-PVC-Foam-Core.html

They quoted me a price delivered to brisbane of less than half the cost of divinycell.

Note the specs are almost a cut and paste of Divinycell H foam.

Does anyone actually KNOW anything about this stuff ? Really not interested in the usual "chinese can't be trusted" "everything they make is rubbish" lines please. I already know all that stuff I'm after actual experiences. Has anyone used it ? Has anyone seen independent tests ?

If this stuff is legit it has the potential to save us all an absolute packet. The foam is the biggest single expense of my build.

Dejay and Jolly Mon like this.
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Interesting, guzzi, who are the local distributors ? Maybe get a sample and test it against Divinycell yourself. I recall buying some Termanto foam one time, and thinking it wasn't entirely homogenous, looking at it, but I didn't worry too much because it wasn't a critical application. It would be nice to get hold of a sample first, before ordering a consignment.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

let us know what you find

4. Bruce Woods

Bruce Woods Senior Member

Trojan fibreglass.

Mr E , was there a problem with Termanto?

I built my first cat with that stuff

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Yes it's trojan but they want more per sqm than I can buy real divinycell for. More than twice what I was quoted from the manufacturer.

I know of a gentleman in the usa who is also interested. Apparently it's being sold over there at a very good price.

I'm not sure how I'd test it ? without going to a lab ? I've got a load cell and an engine crane so I could bend it and stretch it but I'm probably more concerned about durability than it's new mechanical properties. I mean polyurethane would test up passably but we know what happens to that over time.

I guess if "reputable" dealers are selling it in developed countries you'd hope it was ok, but then one fiberglass supplier quoted me polyurethane when I specifically asked for pvc and explained why so...

6. Mr Efficiency

No, but I only used a couple of sheets, and in a non-critical application, but I recall the cell size seemed to vary a bit on the same sheet.

7. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Dejay likes this.
  8. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Please keep us updated! Cheaper PVC foam would be awesome. I'm considering building a boat too, but the prices for foam are like you say, the single biggest expense.

9. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I'll post an update when I get it sorted. I've been waiting on some valves to plumb my infusion setup. They got lost in the mail, blessed bother.

But the stuff looks good. Everything I bought seems to be good quality. Fiberglass at $1 sqm, bagging film, peel ply, tack tape. Everything looks just like the dear stuff. I will be very surprised if the foam does not test up to spec.

Dejay likes this.
  10. Mr Efficiency

We shall await your report, guzzis3. Are you sourcing everything from the one outlet ?

11. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Thanks, awesome! Not surprised, the Chinese have good engineers too. Can you share or DM me what they quoted you for the foam?

12. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Regarding sources please see my blog for details. My second order will only be foam as I've bought enough glass and bagging supplies. They do offer polyester but I've already got epoxy.

For prices see my blog, linked above. Be aware I got stung on port charges, bigger orders would amortize a lot of it and getting a binding quote from shipping agents will help greatly also. If you are in the USA there is a domestic agent apparently with great prices but I don't have their details. Basically it's all about half what you pay elsewhere.

13. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that was the price. Is that for 1 m² 10mm? Is that considered cheap? I'm in Europe and found a few online shop prices:

38.15€ for 10mm AIREX C70.75 PVC per m²
    27.00€ for 10mm AIREX C71.55 PVC
    23.50€ for 10mm AIREX T92.80 PET
    21,80€ for 10mm 3D|CORE™ PET 100 10mm

Should I already count myself lucky?

Oh wait... I just realized that even 100m² of the stuff wouldn't actually be that expensive. I mean it's expensive but for some reason I had number 20x as much in my head! I should get more sleep...

14. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I am in australia so those are australian $

21.80 euro is $34.75AU for example. $20AU is 12.55euro

15. AaronP

AaronP New Member

Hey Guzzis3,

I checked out your blog. How did the Strucell and vacuum resin infusion go? I'd love to hear more about it. I've got a similar project on the go and am in Brisbane also.

fallguy likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.