Strucell cross linked pvcfoam china

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by guzzis3, Nov 6, 2018.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I have recently become aware of this pvc foam.

Changzhou Utek Composite Co., Ltd. https://www.utekcomposites.com/product/Structural-Foam-Cross-Linked-PVC-Foam-Core.html

They quoted me a price delivered to brisbane of less than half the cost of divinycell.

Note the specs are almost a cut and paste of Divinycell H foam.

Does anyone actually KNOW anything about this stuff ? Really not interested in the usual "chinese can't be trusted" "everything they make is rubbish" lines please. I already know all that stuff I'm after actual experiences. Has anyone used it ? Has anyone seen independent tests ?

If this stuff is legit it has the potential to save us all an absolute packet. The foam is the biggest single expense of my build.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Interesting, guzzi, who are the local distributors ? Maybe get a sample and test it against Divinycell yourself. I recall buying some Termanto foam one time, and thinking it wasn't entirely homogenous, looking at it, but I didn't worry too much because it wasn't a critical application. It would be nice to get hold of a sample first, before ordering a consignment.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

let us know what you find

4. Bruce Woods

Bruce Woods Senior Member

Trojan fibreglass.

Mr E , was there a problem with Termanto?

I built my first cat with that stuff

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Yes it's trojan but they want more per sqm than I can buy real divinycell for. More than twice what I was quoted from the manufacturer.

I know of a gentleman in the usa who is also interested. Apparently it's being sold over there at a very good price.

I'm not sure how I'd test it ? without going to a lab ? I've got a load cell and an engine crane so I could bend it and stretch it but I'm probably more concerned about durability than it's new mechanical properties. I mean polyurethane would test up passably but we know what happens to that over time.

I guess if "reputable" dealers are selling it in developed countries you'd hope it was ok, but then one fiberglass supplier quoted me polyurethane when I specifically asked for pvc and explained why so...

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

No, but I only used a couple of sheets, and in a non-critical application, but I recall the cell size seemed to vary a bit on the same sheet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.