Should I get in the Boat Business?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by georgiahemi, Sep 13, 2007.

1. georgiahemi

georgiahemi Junior Member

I am new at building boats. In fact, the only boat I have built was by the Glen L plans. It was a 10 wooden boat covered with epoxy. But this really got me hooked on it. I feel like I should have got in the business a long time ago. I loved it!! I know I should go to work for a boat manufacter to get experience, but I am 31 years old and can not handle the cut in pay. But to all you people out there that are in the business, is it worth it?? I have grown up around boats and have always loved them. I just don't know if a career change at this point in time in my life would be worth it. I just got married a year ago, so I don't want to make the wife mad either. I am just looking for some opinions from boat builders out there. I thought about just building a huge shed, and becoming a back yard boat builder. But I would really like to make a go of this. We have been wanting to move to Florida, and what better job to have in Florida. Let me know your thoughts please.

2. txtrailerdaddy

txtrailerdaddy New Member

I won't comment on if you should get in the boat building business or not. However, I have learned that you should do what you love. You don't want to get to the end of your life only to find that you spent 20-30 years wishing you had done something else. I'm not saying mortgage the house and go all in, but do what you love, just use some judgement. Find a way to do what you love and still make a living, until you are expert enough that you can go it alone. Just my .02.

TXT

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Should I get in the boat building business

Sound thoughts from txtrailerdaddy. Don't waste your life 'wishing' you'd done such a thing...
    At the same time don't leap straight into the 'boat building business' unless you have something 'different' to offer.
    You mention the idea of building a large shed. A similar thread from a UK member is hunting for ideas of 'where to build'. You might use this as a basis for a 'part-time' money-spinner. Rent out areas of that shed for existing boat owners looking for somewhere to work on their own vessels.
    Keep a section for yourself and your own projects. At the same time be on hand to both 'learn' the wrinkles - and give bits of advice.
    Vehicle mechanics scrape a living doing 'small' jobs in their backyard - why not boat repairs ?
    Good luck - and don't let the enthusiasm shrivel inside you.

1 person likes this.
  4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I think that the people making money right know in boat business are few. The cost of materials are high and ultimately for all of us it is a hobby. It is a expensive hobby and most of us have bills to pay, so we are part-time boating.

Anyway that said, there are many niches. I know a few boat carpenters that have plenty of work, same for welders, electricians. Also know a couple that buy old boat wrecks, burnt, etc... fix them and make a profit. Know another that salvages sunk boat for insurance company (he makes good money) Everyone else loses money, but has a place to get away from there family..
    Rents here in Florida are very expensive, boats are everywhere. I would think about building and selling boats there in GA. In Savannah, Jekyll Island etc.. Also Jacksonville. House and rents are half there from southern Florida.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Do what you want to do in life, you are dead for a long time.

Being a boatbuilder myself, you are also poor for a long time, but hey, I really do love what I do for a living, and if we stop buying, the money earned is not all that bad, I just spend too much.

1 person likes this.
  6. Itchy

Itchy Junior Member

The only guy I've ever heard of making (good) money at boat building was Don Aronow of cigarette, donzi, formula, etc. and the only way he made decent money was by selling the companies he built.
    I think for most of us our passion for boating and boat building would get in the way of running the business and making it successful.

I own an automotive company here in Michigan and I really think that the biggest reason that we are successful is because I really couldn't care less about cars. The thought of working on an old muscle car or hot rod in my free time makes me nauseous. They are just the channel we chose to build a business; it's a good source of income and most importantly feeds my boat addiction.
    I've thought long and hard about getting into building offshore powerboats but decided against it for now. My love for boats would definitly get in the way of running the business.

If you do decide to start building boats I would suggest finding someone to "run" the business so you can concentrate on the work.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

If you ever do make money building boats it will take years. Sure it sucks to have lived your life and then have regrets, but losing all you have and then still owe more than you were worth to begin with could be one of the biggest.

You've got to get realistic if you want to do it. If you can't take a cut in pay, actually if you can't be dead broke and remain happy/contented, (and don't forget your wife is along for the ride. It wouldn't be wise to have children right now) you can't give up your "day job". You have to do it on the side, and then when it's just too much to be working two jobs, then you've got a much better idea of what's what and can make a decision on whether it's a good idea or not.

Also, building one wooden boat is not the same as building boats for a living. I don't know where "Itchy" got his nickname, but Itchy and Scratchy are good ones anywhere near fiberglass. Just because a person loves to do a certain thing doesn't mean if they do too much of it, it won't become something they hate. Or that what's good for your spiritual health is neccessarily good for your physical health.

Aside from all that doom and gloom, you've got to be more focused on what you want to do, as in what kind of boats, sail-power-big-small, what they are built of, wood-glass-metal-something else, etc. A general question of whether you can make money building boats can only be answered with "Sure!". It's also the answer if you ask if you can lose money building boats.

Lastly, there are way more people doing boat repair than boat building. Repair is a whole nother animal compared to building.

Anyway, this is a good place to ask and so in the scheme of things you're off to a good start.

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Use the old saying

If you turn your hobby into a business it becomes work.

I'm an Architect. I have physically built 3 boats from the ground-up, the largest was a 78' one off 'glass sloop, and I am now on my 2nd (and hopefully last) rebuild. I too have thought about turning pro, but thats as far as I went. I need this hobby. What would I do for stress relief if I turned it into a stress creator?

From where I sit there are only 2 types of people in Florida that are making real money in boating. The first are the Marina owners. So far this year I have designed 3 high end marina rack storage/club facilities. There is a moratorium on adding new slip spaces in the state, and the existing Marinas are being sold for high rise condos. It is nearly imposable to find a slip in south florida unless you buy one as a condo for $450,000.00.

The other people that continue to make a profit are the luxury yacht builders, like Broward Marine, Hatteras - I recently designed a new facility for Rybovich -now owned by Hyzanga-that will be used to build 85' yachts, 3 at a time.

The bottom line is unless you can buy a Marina or start a multi million dollar yacht company keep boating as a hobby.

9. boatsource

boatsource Junior Member

This is obviously not a question anyone can answer. I do have a few comments though.

One, I haven't seen much call for wooden boats in current times. This could be location based and partly the industry I focus on but obviously the big market is fiberglass/composites for luxury yachts and aluminum or steel with work vessels. The point here is, building a small wooden boat is much different than a FRP luxury yacht or a metal work boat. Would you enjoy those as well?

Two, (if you were planning your own thing) the US is not an ideal place to build pleasure boats. The costs are astronomical in comparison to many parts of the world. The labor rates, import and export duties, taxes, etc can really make it tough to be competitive. That is partially why a luxury yacht would be ok as what's a million here or there on one of them? Commercial vessels are the same story but at least there is the Jones Act so they need to be built on US soil.

Three, If you think it's hard to switch now - during your honeymoon phase and without kids... well I'd just say you should make your decision quickly if you do plan to have children.

Finally, if you do make the change and are willing to move, go somewhere affordable. Save on your living costs and learn the ropes where the pay cut won't hurt as much. Largely populated areas are not necessarily the best place to build a boat or learn the industry. Also, depending on your interests there are different areas you should consider. Boats can be much different on the East Coast compared to the West. Even from the North East Coast to Florida there can be a big variance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  10. 28 CIGARETTE

28 CIGARETTE Junior Member

no, dreams are just that...the cost of materials alone will break you...not trying to rain on your parade , i would really enjoy working with plastics and selling my product too..for a living...

but reality is that there are a ton of boat builders...and boats already...

unless you have people who "want" your product and are willing to pay for it , keep it as a hobby...

the average boat market is dead...boat dealers have stuff that is not moving ,the average joe can't afford any pleasures anymore, especially if it uses "GAS"!!!

now , that dose not consist of the high end market , there will always be sales and growth , but the intro market is gone imho...

11. georgiahemi

georgiahemi Junior Member

Thanks everybody for your advise. It seems to me that from all of your experience, maybe I should just keep it a hobby. I always rush into everything, so I am glad I asked first. I may just try and start a simple project like buying a used canoe mold. Does anybody know where I can get a canoe or kayak mold pretty cheap? Even a little row boat. I don't have much room in the garage, but I will make due. I may try and make some of these and just sell them for extra money. Again, thanks everybody for your opinions, and let me know if you know where I can find some cheap molds.

Thanks

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

georgiahemi,

Try making a boat first with strip planking, say in WRC (Western Red Cedar). It will teach you a lot about the game, it is an easy way to start and the result is almost always very pleasing. You will learn to loft, construct, fibreglass and finish all in a simple, small area, with every chance of being able to sell the end project for a profit if you so desire.

Try looking at the Gourgeon Bros book on boatbuilding if no one in your area is not building the same way.

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Landlubber has it right. Go to wooden Boats .com and look at the adv. for kits and plans. After your 4th or 5th kayak or canoe you'll have a boat good enough from which you can make your own mold. Your business will either grow of it's own accord or you'll have a great hobby that brings in a few dollars to support it's self.

14. Jeff Therrell

Jeff Therrell Junior Member

There's money in building small parts for big boat companies.We just got a very lucritive contract with one to do all their hatches and doors in light RTM.I'm 46 yrs old and all that crawling around on a boat is over,for a while anyway,I can do everything I need to do at bench height.
    Thanks,Jeff Therrell

15. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

What is RTM?