Strongplank vs. woodcore

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by LAZYJACK, Feb 23, 2007.

1. LAZYJACK

LAZYJACK Junior Member

I would like to get information on a material called Strongplank which is suggested as a replacement for wood (eg. red cedar) in a woodcore-type construction with epoxy. Advantages would be: lighter hull, slightly stiffer, better ballast/displacement ratio, no risk for delamination, no risk for rot in case of water infiltration. Has anyone experience with this material ? I am looking at construction of a hull (sailboat) of approx. 41 ft?

2. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Eversail yachts are built with that stuff. I was there and I liked what I saw. It makes sense to me. Its site has an explanation about the product. It used to be also in English, now it is only in Dutch. If you are Flemish you will understand, otherwise write to them and ask for a translated paper (they have it), or even better, pay them a visit. They are nice Guys.

http://www.eversail.nl/index.php?menu_id=59

3. LAZYJACK

LAZYJACK Junior Member

Thanks Vega. I've seen the Eversail site and will visit them next week at the Hiswa in Amsterdam. They seem to be the main user (promotor?) of this product. A few other yards are sited having build in Strongplank, but apparently none outside of the Netherlands.
    Keep info coming.

4. Strong Plank

Strong Plank Composites

Experience with Strong Plank

Yes endeed I do have some experience:

My passt projects I supported
    28`Collin archer
    several 35`cruiser
    3 classik coasters
    3 Kaptn speed boats´
    1 High speed Tender above 65 knots full Carbon / with Strong Plank
    3 - 40`Saling Yards Nissen and JV Desing
    1 - 60´ Sailing JV desing (small Pinta)
    And the largest 160 ft Schooner

For what Information your searching for?

rgds Robert

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Do you have any cost and weight estimates?

6. amg

amg New Member

I am also interested in that building process, did you find the initial company that does the stongplank, have you get any further information other then those given by the ship yard?
    Thank's

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

8. amg

amg New Member

No A am not, but i speek a little deutch... I hope I will understand everything... or I will ask a translation at a friend...
    Thanks

9. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i wonder if you would consider changing your name, I have used this name since 2004, and I think your name being similar may confuse some?
    what do you think?
    regards lazeyjack the first

10. Buckie

Buckie Junior Member

Looks interesting...I was thinking about doing the same type of thing but using veneers, glued and laminated to about 2" thick. can anyone see any problems with it ?

buckie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.