what type of window glass is best?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by about time1, Feb 22, 2015.

1. about time1

about time1 New Member

need to replace the glass window in a 1980 46 post sportfish. This is a salon window. What kind of glass should I be looking at?

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I'm researching the idea of a double layer of auto windshield class with a single layer of 3-M
    reflective coating tape maybe colored between the 2. Also considering to have the inner glass layer to have a wire grid (wire glass ) This is for the windshield.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Most likely it is tempered/toughened glass.

4. JSL

JSL Senior Member

As per Gonzo - tempered or toughened.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Tempered glass is what is commonly used, though I often use laminated glass instead. Laminated glass isn't as strong, but is safer and is available in standardized tints (as well as clear). A ballistic film (3M is the best) will make tempered glass much like laminated glass, in that it will remain intact if cracked or broken. Additionally, the 3M ballistic films (only available and applied by 3M) can be had with various tints, some remove 98% of UV A and B, so varnish and fabrics don't age. My house has this 3M film on every window, which isn't cheap (over $3K ten years ago, but also on 31 windows), but it's great stuff and much better then the over the counter stuff you can get at an automotive detail shop.

6. about time1

about time1 New Member

So tempered glass, cool thank you. Will a suggestion be made for sealant, or should I say bedding? Did not like sitex, did not stick to the glass. 95% confident on my prep with roughing it up and primer. I was able to peel it off the glass with my fingernail after about 3 months, then the window leaked.

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Laminated glass transmits less noise than tempered glass of the same thickness.

DogCavalry likes this.
  8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Call a windshield replacement company and ask them what adhesive they use to reset a new front windshield.

9. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

About Time 1: Welcome to the forum. Tempered glass is about 10 times stronger (literally) than laminated glass. Unfortunately, when tempered glass breaks, it shatters into thousands of pieces (literally) and broken shards of glass shoot all over everything, scaring it (furniture, walls, floors, human flesh, everything) in a very devastating way. Laminated glass, on the other hand, will shatter, but stay intact in the frame, because of the fabric layer between the layers of glass--which is why they call it laminated glass. With laminated glass, on breaking, You won't get any little shards of glass flying through the air--zero, zip, nada. Chemically strengthened laminated glass is about twice as strong as unstrengthened laminate glass,. and so only a fifth the strength of tempered glass. For boats, I almost always specify laminated glass, principally for it shatter resistance.

I hope that helps.

Eric

1 person likes this.
  10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Also my understanding is laminated glass is cut and then used, while tempered glass is cut before tempering, and then sent to be tempered.

All automobiles sold in US and Canada have had laminated windshields since around 1930. Almost all side window and rear window (backlite in auto industry terminology) has been tempered. The major exception is some luxury cars with laminated side window glass for sound transmission reduction.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  11. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

With respect David, I think you meant laminated glass is cut and used. It is certainly available from glazing outlets in the UK for domestic doors etc where regulations require it.

One vehicle that used all flat sheets of glass (laminated) was the Citroen 2CV, partly to make it cheap to repair any screen that was broken. Any glazier could cut suitable stock to a pattern.

12. JSL

JSL Senior Member

One small point when doing windows fitted in the navigation area & wheelhouse. You do not want to compromise visibility so avoid tinted windows or go with a very light tint if you absolutely must. Tinted windows can also 'shift' the colors leading to a 'ColRegs' moment.

13. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Have used polycarbonate with glassed surface for windows in workboats, including rescue and fifi. Accepted by DNV and Swedish marine authority, easy to work with, has low heat conductivity (less condensing in chilly environment), and takes tremendous physical loads without shattering, provided the framing is ok.

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Any idea of the cost of polycarbonate with glass surfaces compared to tempered glass and laminated glass?

15. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

And the difference in UV resistance!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.