airstream for a cabin, weight of conventional aluminum cabin

Discussion in 'Materials' started by adamanderr, Jun 17, 2010.

1. adamanderr

adamanderr Junior Member

i have an airstream train 27 foot and have always wanted a houseboat. im wondering if the airstream could be a good readymade cabin for the hull. what is the approximate weight of a conventional bay/river style houseboat and what are they usual made of. i believe the airstream weights about 4500 lbs and of course a bit less without the trailer frame.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Without the frame you probably wouldn't have a trailer. Maybe you can utilize the trailer frame as a main part of the hull.

3. science abuse

science abuse Junior Member

I would actually be inclined to remove the frame and save it for later use *as* the trailer.

Weigh the thing without the heavy steel chassis, then figure out how much bouyancy you need to float it. If you have the bullocks to go "full-Hillbilly", your options are cheap and endless. :)

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Put it on a ramped barge and you've got some real flexibility.

The next question would be, power the barge or tow it...?

-Tom

5. BriggsMonteith

BriggsMonteith Junior Member

"Full-hillbilly" love it.

You'll have to post some pictures : )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.