Center console designs and ideas

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by clamdigger, Jun 1, 2009.

1. clamdigger

clamdigger Junior Member

I'm in the process of repairing and updating a 19' barnegat bay garvey with a 6' beam. For those of you who don't know what a garvey is, its a purpose built, flat bottom, very shallow draft work boat that was used mainly for clamming, net fishing, and hunting in the shallow bays of southern NJ. I'm trying to design a center console for it but cannot decide on a design. I would like a console with storage underneath that would house my batteries and some tackle, as well as a small seat forward of the console with some storage below perhaps maybe even a livewell. The idea of a hardtop has crossed my mind also. I like the hardtops of modern boats with the electronics box mounted to it but not sure how it would look on a small boat. If i do not go the hardtop route i will need to build some type of weatherproof electronics box on top of the console where i can see my electronics while running.

Does anybody have any pictures, designs, or ideas to help me out here? I've run out of ideas. Any help is much appreciated.

2. clamdigger

clamdigger Junior Member

Anybody?

3. achiganman

achiganman New Member

Clamdigger - first of all I am not a boatbuilder and have never done this. I found your post while looking for something else. Here are a couple of links that might give you IDEAS to copy/leverage/buy for the console:

www.birdsallmarine.com

Their units are glass, but you'll get the idea. Atlantic Towers also makes small t-tops (as does Birdsall). There are other manufacturers too, just drawing a blank right now. Good luck.

4. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

A boat with a six foot beam will limit the width of your console, Do you run her from a seat or standing? if standing perhaps you can build a console taller then most!, and build a shelf in it for the tackle, just make sure the battery holds have sturdy lids to keep a falling metal object off the termials. or perhaps what has been called a coffin style console, were the seat at the forweard end is longer kind of bench like allowing one to sit facing port/ starboard or stradle , I as I write this am liking the coffing idea as you stated you use her in all seasons a warm dry set of outer wear might be just what the doctor order if you get wet or something , You may find a picture of some thing similar if you search a boat called a conch 27 thats were I first saw one!

best of luck

5. achiganman

achiganman New Member

another idea

missed the narrrow beam piece... Try these guys. The beam on gheenoes is very narrow but the guys who have 'em, love 'em.

http://www.customgheenoe.com

6. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

I am very aware of these boats. We use to use just a side console simular to the boston whalers. I own a spoon bow or chicken breasted garvey and have fished it for 16 years myself even after building them out of white cedar and then switching over and using plywood and mahogany for the keels and rails. I have a center console in mine but custom built it as a sit down style because of the freeboard. I will get you a photo tommorrow of it for you.

7. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

This is really a simple one that I put together and have used it for many years. Even though the cosmetics are tired, I still get lots of service from it after almost 16 years. My wife fishes from the foward seat. I use a combination 48 gt cooler seat, completely removable, not one of those flip seats. I use some of that rubber non-skid under it and remove it with the contents at the end of the day. On deck I have a total of 60 inches in this 16 foot scow.

The walk way area as you can see is around 16 to 17 inches with the balance of 26 plus inches in the console. I built it planning on using a binnacle mount control and never got around to getting one and installing it. I still use the side mount and carry fishing rods on the other side. The grab rail is great. The overall height is 28 inches and I can stand up easily with that angle and also steer the boat with ease.
    I carry a single battery under the seat and a six gallon fuel tank under the main section.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.