EPPLER Code for Airfoil design- doubts

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Rohan, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Hi,
    I am using the inverse airfoil design code by Eppler. There are some issues 'm facing while writing the input line for Reynolds number.
    Has anyone used it before? Any help will be highly appreciated.

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

It's been a long time since I used the Eppler code, but I might be able to help. If you have a copy of Eppler's book, "Airfoil Design and Data," you'll find an appendix that has the Eppler code input for all the foils mentioned in the book. You should be able to grab one of those and modify it for your purposes.

I guess my first question is, "Why?" Are you trying to reproduce some Eppler sections from the code input? If there's not a specific reason for using the Eppler code, I recommend XFOIL as a better alternative. The main reason is XFOIL has a boundary layer method that can actually calculate the effect of laminar separation bubbles, while Eppler's program can only warn you that a bubble may affect the results.

3. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for your reply. I checked the appendix of the book mentioned, but it only has TRA1 and TRA2, I am having trouble with Reynolds number line. The code is supposed to plot a boundary layer development curve giving the values of H32 vs Re_delta2. Do I need to do something else to get a plot from Eppler code, or is there any way to get these values as output? As I understand H32 is required for predicting b.l behavior.

In the link below, Eppler has infact written the RE inputs required for getting this plot(page no. 58 and 138), still no plot for me !!
    Eppler, Richard; and Somers, Dan M.: A Computer Program for the Design and Analysis of Low-Speed Airfoils. NASA Technical Memorandum 80210, August 1980.

4. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Attached are the image files of page 58 and 138.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      73.9 KB
      Views:
    • 11.PNG
      11.PNG
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.