Stringers

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fishweed, Jul 10, 2007.

1. fishweed

fishweed Junior Member

I have learned alot from this forum, I have a 36 foot motorsailer, the hull is fiberglass (very thick) and the decks and wheel house is glassed over wood, the stringers in the boat are very thick about 1/4-5/16 and I drilled a few of them and the wood inside is like dust, my question to this forum is, unlike a power boat the hull is heavy and the fiberglass on the stringers are not cracked or broken, should I tear the floor out and cut the tops off and reglass,, fill the voids with wood or foam, or leave them alone, I have asked these questions before, and the answers have been the wood in the stringer is a form for the glass, if that is the case then if the wood rots and the glass is ok, what is the problem, I know the compression areas where the mast hits and the engine are important, thanks

2. Seacast

Seacast Junior Member

I spoke with With my boss Wolfgang About this He said they are correct about the wood being used as just a form. He said you do not have to do anything if the glass is 1/4 thick. But in many case it is not total enclosed with sufficent glass thickness throughout stringer. So you need to make sure of this. And were you drilled the holes is patched you do not want water to get in there it will add weight to your boat.

Your Friends At Seacast
    Bobbi
    Save a tree pour a Transom