Superyacht Design Costs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mat-C, May 20, 2010.

1. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

No... I'm afraid I'm not a potential client...;) But was just wondering what the design fees might run to for a 'typical' 40 or 50 metre superyacht. Often there are a number of different people involved - naval architecture, design above the WL, 3D modelling.... what would their respective cuts be?

2. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Be sure, it's a lot!

Michel

3. mgivens

mgivens Junior Member

for a 50m, no NA on staff, just design work, i would say anywhere between 1-2.5 million for 2.5 years of work

4. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

Yikes! So how come I don't see more really rich designers then!?!

Ok, so have noticed that a lot of boats have the profile and arrangement, etc, done by one firm and the naval architecture / engineering done by another...
    How much would one be likely to pay for this 1st part - the 'styling' for 'my' 40m motoryacht?

5. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

1 million $ divided by 10,000 hours design, engineering, and naval architecture = $100 per hour. That pays for designer and engineer salaries, administration staff, software licensing, office rent, office equipment, employee benefits, taxes, sales and marketing, liason with vendors and the shipyard, etc.

6. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

Don't get me wrong... I'm not suggesting that it's unreasonable. I just wonder how many firms actually comand that kind of fee.
    And what about the 'designer'? Who does the GA, profile, styling etc... what would the fee's likely run to for that kind of work?

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

All of them get that kind of royalty, quite many of them much more. Because in this scene you will not find the "bedroom" operated sort of business.
    A owner willing to break out 50 million and more asks for well known designers and perfect engineering in the design. 8% of the building cost are not uncommon. When the interior / exterior styling is not done by the same NA (group), that of course will be shared.
    But those contracts are so individual, that it is impossible to figure what it might be in your special case.
    If the choosen interior "designer" is a Diva, and well known (I don´t say the names, no), he might well get more than the top level experts like Vripack for the entire naval architecture and tests.

Regards
    Richard

8. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

The interior design and styling of a 50m yacht can be a huge undertaking. The interior joiner detail sheets are extensive and labor intensive. The 3D interior renderings are truly photorealistic and changes to the design are done almost continously up to and during construction of the yacht.

The interior designer/stylist has to make enough money on his/her projects to afford to go to all the major boat shows (Fort Lauderdale, Dubai, Monaco, Genoa, etc) every year to find potential clients and keep up with the competition.

I don't know what the fees are, but I'm guessing it's several hundred thousand dollars at least for the top designers.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Many millions Paul........many.

10. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

I wanted to bring this up again and look at a couple of the aspects a little further.
    If we break the design down into a few major components:

1. Basic Design - Styling & GA, general detailing (macro, if you like)
    2. Interior design, micro detailing
    3. Naval Architecture / Engineering / Classification

Going back to the original project - a 40+ metre motoryacht with a budget of 20 - 30 million.

If we set aside the "prima-donna's" of the industry... what would one expect to pay for each of the three design components?
    Of course, if I've missed any out or blurred the lines of distinction too much, feel free to correct me...

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

2. Is the biggest variable. If you get a trendy designer and buy original artwork, it can cost several millions.

12. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

I think there are two different approaches from the owner's side, that can make the difference:
    A- The owner buys a full project from a design firm (like the mentioned Vripack for example), then chooses a shipyard to build the yacht;
    B- The owner chooses a shipyard and give them a design concept (your point 1 - Basic Design) and let the shipyard to further develope the design.
    I believe the latter would be less expensive for the owner..
    In any case, the part n° 3 (engineering, etc..) nowadays should stay within 500000€ for a boat with 20M budget (this is an actual value).
    I am not sure what you mean with interior design, micro detailing: are you talking about styling and renderings only, or do you also include workshop detail drawings?

13. yipster

yipster designer

not a real superyacht but the beneteau monte carlo looks like a nice boat
    interior designer P. Andreani who must have had its finger on the topsides too
    is named and with good reason i belive, but even with a name i doubt he made millions on it
    nice concept tho but dont see why critics praise the black set-in windows belowdecks..
    http://www.beneteau.com/en/motorboats/produit.aspx?GAM_CODE=11&PRO_CODE=460

14. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

Thanks Nemo...
    My understanding is that for the detailed engineering and naval architecture (3), the more accomplished / better known / more detailed firms can see as much as 8% from a yacht project, but that most would charge closer to 3% of the yacht's finished build cost...
    So, on a 20 million $ yacht, that's between 600K and 1.6 mill., which generally equates quite well with the estimate you gave.

But, I have also been told that the designer (1) - the one responsible for the styling, GA and general "feel" of the vessel, would also charge a similar amount to those quoted above.... with most charging around 3% and some (bigger names) rather more than this.
    It is obviously a grey area - where the lines of responsibility are blurred between these two groups too - just where does the designer's responsibility end and the naval architects begin...?

The designer may well be responsible for (2) the interior design too - as I say.. blurred lines of responsibility - but often there is a separate interior designer called upon to select the wall & floor coverings, art work, colours, etc, etc. I'm not so concerned about their pay packet, but imagine that it'smuch like the other two - depends who you choose...

So - back to my original question... what would you expect to pay the designer to produce the styling, GA etc for an average 40 - 50m superyacht? Are the numbers I've quoted accurate (600K and up) and id so... what do you get for your money... just what is the designer expected to produce for that kind of pay?

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Check on #2's prices for upscale designers. Then look at prices. For example $38,000.00 showers. Artwork can be on the millions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.