stringer replacement, and floor in a 193 Cobia 195

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Houston, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Houston

Houston New Member

we always dreamed of owning a little trailerable cuddy cruiser, up to this point we have always had older glass boat that needed little repair. a 1959 papose thunderbird, 63 dorrset, and our latiest a 62 Aristo-Craft Funliner 17 :cool: (see below)

We went to a boat meet in raystown Pa, without the Aristo-craft due to engine disorders. while at this meet at a camp ground we spoted a cabin cruser and found out it was for sale.:)

we brought it home, and begun to list issues, the floor was a major issue because the P/O layed hardwood planks across the cockpit floor, I was figuring it was decor but to my horror as I releaved the cock pit of the boards and the sun got directly on to the inside of the cockpit the floor started to "open-up".

after pre-set depth of a ciclar saw I removed the floor and found, the starboard stringer was a "hollow shell", the fuel tank "pocket" foam and insalation where soaked with water and the starboard stringer integerty and the floor support was weaking when the fuel tank fill and vent line was run throught an area where they cut the stinger down in half.:?: to provide an excess to the 45 gal fuel tank.

the frist part of my project is dealing with the stringer replacement. Rather using filerglassed plywood, I would like to use a nice piece of untreated wood for both the stringers and and aft bulk head. I found the wood that they used was just clued togather plwood and at the factory and they fiberglassed that in...I don't like that idea very much.

what would be the best selected wood to use for this project?, and what type and grade of fiberglass mat and brade of reisen should I use?

sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.