Stringer Repair

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rpdwyer, Mar 16, 2015.

1. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Junior Member

Hi all.

I posted a while back about my motor mount stringers on my 1997 Larson Cabrio 310 being cracked and wet. I've begun to prep to actually remove them and have them rebuilt... but ran into a problem. Each engine has 3 points of contact with the hull: in the aft to the transom assembly, to the raised tab on top of the motor mount stringer close to the center of the bilge (this is the bad section to be repaired) and finally to stringer that is under decking material further away from the bilge area. When attempting to remove the bolts that hold the mounts to the stringers that are under the decking/further from the bilge... they broke off. In hindsight, I should have left the bolts alone and disconnected the engine from the mount...a learning mistake. My question is this: can I use a hole saw with 1" bit on it and drill down around the broken bolts and remove them in the plug that comes out with the hole saw... and then fill in the hole with some pour in resin? If I don't remove the broken bolts, I'm not sure how much the motor mount would allow me to reposition to a point where the new lags could grab new wood and not contact the broken bolt.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

--Rick

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is a typical way of removing a broken bolt. Instead of resin, put a hardwood dowel and then fiberglass over it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.