Stringer material

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ok J, Apr 23, 2005.

1. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Let's go back a few posts to #1. You live in B.C. Canada?
    You're paying $11.00 a board ft. for douglas fir? Maybe you should take trip to the U.S and buy the fir grown in Canada in the U.S for alot less. You can buy old growth doug fir from Boulter plywood in MASS. for $7.95 a board ft.. That's taxachusset! In 20' lengths!

2. chandler

chandler Senior Member

I don't believe "most wooden boats" built today are polyester over wood is an accurate statement.

3. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Let's go back a few posts to #1. You live in B.C. Canada?
    You're paying $11.00 a board ft. for douglas fir? Maybe you should take trip to the U.S and buy the fir grown in Canada in the U.S for alot less. You can buy old growth doug fir from Boulter plywood in MASS. for $7.95 a board ft.. That's taxachusset! In 20' lengths!

4. Ok J

Ok J Ok J

Gussett blocks

G'day Cyclops
    So what you are refering to is the area at the top of the stringer where it meets the transom, installing triangulated gussets perpendicular to the stringer that would attach to the transom. Yes the decking covers this area, the fuel tank will sit above this area once completed.

Mr Gonzo... I am mainly concerned about the deck plywood twisting (misaligning) over time as it previuosly had done, I suppose the main concern is supporting the joints where the floor joint will meet, and I thought adding bulkheads at these points couldn't hurt...however, that is why my question is in this forum. I have learned alot from those who have replied, and have made a few good decisions as a result...

thanks to both of you,...Ok J
    the Sun is beaming here in the Okanagan today, must get busy!

5. Ok J

Ok J Ok J

Thanks Chandler...we pay out the #*! for our own natural resources...The Doug Fir I am refering to is clear kd as well...not to worry, I found a better source.
    Thx

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.