Stringer layup schedule for 'glass Lightning

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by cghubbell, Aug 18, 2014.

1. cghubbell

cghubbell New Member

I'm working on restoring a 1967 Lightning Sailboat which is a glass hull. The stringers, or "riblets" which are used to attach the floor and seats have delaminated, and will require retabbing, or replacement (haven't had time yet to probe the wood for rot). I have two questions:

1) These active stringers are roughly 2" high, and 5/8" wide spanning < 3 feet across the hull. I believe they are red cedar. I plan to bed them in epoxy thickened with colloidal silica, and a nice fillet all around. For a layup schedule, I was planning to use 4 layers of 6oz cloth with west system's recommendations for tab offsets. I'm estimating that I want around 1/16" thick laminate. According to West's guide, each layer of 6 oz cloth is 0.010" thick. So, that would mean I need closer to 6 layers. That seems like overkill to me for this application. Any second opinions would be much appreciated.

2) Assuming I find rot, would I be doing the right thing to replace them with red cedar, or is there a compelling reason to use a different wood? Weight is definitely a consideration as this is a racing boat. Don't want to deviate too far from class designs, just wanted to see if I'm missing any good ideas.

I have a similar query in to the class association; I just wanted to run this by a different audience.

Thank you,
    Chris

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Switch to 8 ounce cloth and use 4 layers. If they're red cedar, use it or something similar again.