Candlefish 16 - Hardwood Selection

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by stinkdome, Jan 4, 2013.

1. stinkdome

stinkdome New Member

Folks,

Just starting to price all the wood I need to buy. I live in Texas and found that Houston Hardwoods has all the marine grade options under 1 roof. From a plywood standpoint (9mm and 12mm) I'm going with Okoume.

The plan also calls for hardwood planks (10"x12'x3/4") - this might be a huge newb question but any suggestions of what type of hardwood I should be looking at? This would be for the gunwales, seats, keels, rails, futtocks & knees.

Thanks!

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Spanish cedar comes to mind. What species are available in your area?

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I dont know Texas, but The US has beautiful Cypress, Locust, Oak , Cedar, Fir. All are good boat woods.... Any would be good choice.

Check with your local timber supplier and see what quality he has in the various species, then choose the best quality boards.

Nothing wrong with a mix of different woods.

4. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Places in LA or MS should have all the Oak you want in those lengths.
    Tornado and Hurricane downed a million trees. Some are still laying out in the Swamps.
    I'd almost bet you'll have to look up small local sawmills.
    But it's here waiting on you.

You could use Sweet Gum for Rubrails etc. Just keep some stashed up in your rafters for replacment parts.