Stringer Design in This Boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by crankit, May 19, 2023.

1. crankit

crankit Junior Member

In the boat picture below you will notice the stringer system has no bulkheads between the stringers except at the very front at the v-birth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would this be because -
    a. The builder was cheap?
    b. To increase the flex in the hull?
    c. Some other reason?

If you were rebuilding this boat would you add bulkheads or rebuild as it was?

Boat is a 23 foot ray hunt design (Caribbean Crusader from Australia)

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

There are a few Caribbean Crusaders for sale on line - here is a link to one of them.
    Caribbean Crusader 235 Half Cab: Trailer Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Fibreglass/grp | Western Australia (WA) - Perth WA https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/trailer-boats/caribbean-crusader-235-half-cab/275827

It shows a transverse bulkhead aft of the vee berth that appears to be bolted to flanges - I can see the bolt holes in your photos above.
    You also need this bulkhead to support the helm station (unless you are planning major changes, such as a centre console?)
    I would look for adverts for sisterships for sale, to use as reference, and rebuild the boat like how they are shown (eg the link above).

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Not needed, I'd say...your feet show that the spacing between stringers is not much, so transverse structures are not a big deal. Widen the boat and it matters.

But if you bond the sole to the stringers and hullsides; that also provides quite a bit of reduction in athwart flex, as long as the decking is sufficient...

bajansailor likes this.

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I’m thinking “a”.
    Were it mine, it would definitely get three bulkheads.
    One to isolate the engine room, another to close the fuel tank compartment, and a third at the dashboard to support the foredeck.
    The existing stringers look to be in bad shape.

baeckmo likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.