new designs are a bit like reinventing the wheel

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Mikthestik, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

I have been trying to learn more about multihulls cats in particular. I am waiting for Chriss Whites book on multihulls to arrive. I have found Roger Wood site very informative with videos and pictures. and have designed some variations on his designs. That is to say I have done calculations on a boat like Flika with different lengths beams sail plans etc. this gives me a lot of enjoyment. BUT If I was in the market for a boat buying one from Mr wood is the way to go.
    I thought I might publish the numbers. What it amounts to is an overweight eclipse with a Lugsail unstayed mast with sad 16-17. It won't win races but it would be very hard to capsize and should go anywhere in the world eventually.

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

His name is Richard Woods.
    If your going to torture his designs you could at least get his name right.

3. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

4. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

Thank you for the book title. Sorry Richard I think I had a diabetic moment.:eek:

5. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

I ordered the book, got it for ~£10 inc postage. I have done loads of calculations which prove to me if I want a catamaran I would buy it from Richard Woods. I can't explain why I would prefer a catamaran to a Trimaran except that a trimaran always has one float out of the water, its a visual thing. Visuals should be ignored. I had a car which was a very ugly shade of bronze (I was told) the car was everything I wanted it to be. When driving it the only bronze I could see was a little on my wing mirrors. Were I to take my own advice a trimaran would be the way to go, for it has one great advantage which is the capacity of a monohull.mik

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.