Straw hat foil cruising!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Richard Hillsid, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

OK I know of all the hydrofoil organisations around there, but want to keep this here.

So here is my next project, if you feel like participating please do.

I have acquired some very strong lightweight struts that whistand bending and twisting to the max.

Their beam is 6 meters, also I have acquired a 10 meter pole so I get a length of 10 meters with a beam of 6 meters, this assembly weighs in at 78 Kg. And is stong enough.

Now I would like to ad a 6 meter foil between the ends of the struts, supported from the centre (3 meters) or 2 meters with 2 supports.

Ther would be no bow foil just the skiming bouancy torpedo.

I was thinking of a high coefficient foil, with cruising speeds around 12 to 15 knots.
    The whole structure with buoyancy and operator would be around 250 Kg without engines.

For motors I was thinking 2 stroke 10 hp engines.

Question is, if I could afford to build or by the foil, witch profile and chord should I use for cruising around in calm waters.

Wearing a straw hat of course. lol.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.