Stratosphere progress, as to the recovery

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by warwick, Apr 24, 2012.

1. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Does any one know if there has been any more as to the recovery of Stratosphere. The last report I could find was January 2011.

Stratosphere was /is a unique catamaran, with her pods and rounded decks.

I remember seeing it in the early eighties.

2. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Stratosphere ?'s

Warwick - why you interested - - just for fun - or do you have $300k to dig-it-out & then rebuild it.

Want to know about 'Stratosphere' then ask David Barker the designer - who lives just north of you - up in Kerrikerri or ask Phil Hart owner of 'Sundreamer' who can be contacted by asking the same question on 'crews.org.nz' forum.
    'Stratosphere' may well have been a good vessel but was never the equal of 'Sundreamer'. 'Stratosphere' would cost more to recover than it is worth & take a whole lot of messing around with the authorities IMHO. It's way past its time - just like 'Sundancer' - to far gone - to make it worthwhile to recover an old out-of-date designed vessel (s). But - go do your thing. Ciao, james

3. warwick

warwick Senior Member

It was more out of curiosity, as the last entry on crews.org.nz, was January 2011. So it has just proven not to be cost effective.

There was talk of a recovery attempt on the above forum.

My interest now is in filling in gaps from when I lost interest in multihulls to the last couple of years.

Thanks for replying James.

4. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

'Stratosphere' ?'s

Gooday again 'Wassa' As you may gather I have some knowledge of all 3 of David Barker's multihulls - (Sundancer - Stratosphere & Sundreamer) which were & still are light-years ahead of most multihull design theories & practice. Gary also knows David. Gary is 5 times light-years ahead of most of us. Lots of questions will get lots of answers & background knowledge like 'O-S-7' has. These guys are leaders in their fields. You'll do well - to learn form them all. Ciao, james

5. warwick

warwick Senior Member

I use to enjoy reading Garys column in the sea spray magazine up to the early nineties. I find it impressive what he has done with the remains of Supple Jack, and Sid is proving it will be as impressive, when complete.

I aim to listen and ask appropriate questions as required, and most of all respect the acquired knowledge available.