Strange water leak

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by 8008man, May 19, 2008.

1. 8008man

8008man New Member

We have an 1988 5.7L Mercruiser. I have no idea how, but the boat is leaking water from the shift linkage. Now I've checked to see if anything is spraying up onto it and its not. I can't possibly imagine where this water is comming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's very likely you need to replace the shift cable bellows and clamps. You'll have to pull the drive to perform this task. A fairly mechanically inclined person with a full set of tools can tackle this job, though it's not a job for a person that wouldn't attempt to change say the crank side timing gear on his car. You'll need an engine hoist to manage the drive.

While you're there, change out the exhaust and U joint bellows and clamps as well. Buy a full "transom" kit for your drive model you'll get all the gaskets and O rings.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.