strakes

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by ARGO, May 15, 2005.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

it's about as good a definition as I've ever seen, even in the books....

2. altim

altim New Member

Sportfisher Running Strakes

Wrt Sportfisher Hull Design - Does Running The Outboard Strake Out To The Transom, In Practice, Generate Lift At Transom And Assist With Reduction In Chine Walking?
    Nb. Say Transom Deadrise To Be About 16 Degrees &
    The Inboard Strake Finishs Just Aft Of Midships

Appreciate Your Inputs....

3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Strakes could have those effects (to a modest degree) on a light high performance hull. But most any inboard sportfisher would be to heavy for this to apply.

Kelly Cook

4. nevd

nevd Junior Member

I suspect if the boat is chine walking, then it must be "running chines dry" and therefore be high performance - particularly when it is only 16 degree.

5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Agreed. However the post does not make it clear whether this boat is actually experiencing chine walking, or the question was on general principles. When I hear "sportfisher" I think more in terms of a Luhrs than a Fountain. Especially with only 16 deg of deadrise.

Kelly

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.