Power Trimaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BayouDude, Feb 22, 2005.

1. BayouDude

BayouDude Junior Member

I am taking a course at the University of New Orleans and am going to design a power trimaran. I would like to do something about 80-100 foot with a 20-30ft beam, a range of 1000 miles and a cruising speed of 20kts. I was thinking the vessel would be used for a live aboard dive boat or possibly a yacht. I was intrigued by the trimaran hull and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Any input would be appreciated.

2. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

You should look at Nigel Irens designs.

3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

What might be your motivation to choose for the power tri concept? Any mono would feed with ease your bill of requirements. The power tri, in its true concept, is just to achieve speeds normally unobtainable by monohulls. If you are looking for the wide-bodied designs you better go for the cat design.
    I play a bit around with tri-designs, actually winged monohulls, to go fast, stable and with a minimum of draft that allows you to enter shallow waters. Beachable too.

4. doesitfloat

doesitfloat Junior Member

I did some work a few years ago with a concerp of a tri Patrol boat. There was a large gain in deck work area however the seakeeping limited it's operation. If it's a fair weather fun boat probably work out just fine.

5. BayouDude

BayouDude Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I have just taken a look at some of Nigel Irens designs and they are impressive. I have decided on the trimaran because the class focuses on cats, tris and surface effect ships. Most of my experience is in tugs and offshore supply vessels so this high speed stuff is somewhat new. I would prefer to do something other than a monohull even though the benefits offered by a trimaran for this size and speed may not be exceptional.

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I own a small hovercraft and have notice that Sevtec hovercraft kind of function like a catamaran- but not exactly.

This got me to thinking if there was any tri-pontoon type surface effect ships.

I know that the solid sidewall wall cushion vehicles are a form of non-displacement cat, in a gray area way.

If the hovercraft bag side skirt is made to be of such high pressure that it acts as a inflatable pontoon - or RIB (rigid inflatable boat), then it would act like one, right?

The wave impact on a RIB is turned into mechanical energy by the air-spring effect which then allows for higher speeds, right? So even a non-displacement hovercraft should be able to deflect more of the wave energy impact, or so it follows to think so.

What would a tri-pontoon type surface effect ship really look like?

Actually I have drawings and built a non-working model. Just trying for a little feed back before I post it or do more work on it.

If this concept has been explored or dicsucssed before, please suggest or provide a link. Cheers all.

Note - cool link:
    http://www.nigelirens.demon.co.uk/index2.htm

7. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Drawings and ideas.

Throw on some drawings please!

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A liberal is
    forward thinking
    and the only
    way to be...
    politically

To not be a liberal when your 18 means you have no heart,

to not be consirtive when your 40 means you have NO head!!

Old frog saying,

FAST FRED

9. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Caveat Emptor........

10. boby boy

boby boy owner of cla boat design

I believe a trimaran is a wonderfull choice, a multi hull boat was my first creation. just some advise fom a previouse design of mine: if you are gouing to have a center board instead of a fixed keel it is very conveniant to run it through a table below deck. this way it gives the table added suport and keeps it out of your way

11. boatgm

boatgm Junior Member

i just started building a power tri will keep you'll updated

12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Tri Hull power yacht

I assume you are familar with this recently launched tri-hull vessel http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8976&postcount=26

Attached Files:

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

From brian eiland's second link:

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/trimaran/
    Reduced cost?

I'm not sure building three hulls is cheaper than one larger hull. However I agree with the rest of it for the most part.

What happends when a surface to surface radar beam hits the main hull and bounces back and forth inside/against of the smaller outboard hull? Does it get trapped or sent back to the sender giving away the location?

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Radar signature depends very much on the shape and material of that hull. 90-degree angles are very good radar reflectors; stealth aircraft usually use a lot of 48-degree angles to minimize signature. Metals generally reflect more than composites. The shape of a boat is so complex that it's hard to predict radar signature without an actual test range. Having said that, if you suspect your vessel's radar signature is small (often the case with thin composite-hulled boats) it is prudent to hoist a reflector.

15. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Reduced cost......could of meant "reduced operating cost".

That is to say for faster speeds it consumes less fuel - I guess.

I'm thinking because the water surface is a large reflective plane, things could be different for boats than airplanes.

I've noticed all the current and future watercraft designs are stealth, patrol boats, Corvettes, Destroyers and so forth are all clean deck flat plane designs - not much more than 10 degrees (in lieu of 48 degrees).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.