Hard chine hulls? Which software is best?

Discussion in 'Software' started by stefano, Mar 2, 2004.

1. stefano

stefano New Member

Hi,

I am looking for a software that make me easy to design powerboats hulls (hard chine hulls). What would you suggest me?
    As well I will need to make hydrostatics calcs and power prediction.

I used Maxsurf but I really didn't like it, you have to create many surfaces and then join' em. It is is quite complicate and take long time to fair 5-6 surfaces joined together.

Do you know any software that make it simple? Maybe I am completely wrong but I remember tha Autoship (I saw it once a few years ago) allows you to design a full transv. section including discontinuity points? Is it true?

thanks for your help and suggestions

Stefano

2. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Maxsurf will allow you to do that by joining/grouping control points together.

Brett

3. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Hard chine hulls in Maxsurf

If you are doing a simple chine hull with no shape in the panels you can simply set the transverse order (i.e. stiffness) of the surface to linear, and you will get straight lines between the chines. That way all you have to do is fair the centerline, chines and sheerline and you have a basic hull.

I don't see how it could be much simpler.

4. Andrew Mason

zhmeww

Very informative.

I'm sure the entire forum would appreciate hearing your detailed analysis of why you feel Fastship is superior to other design systems, please elaborate.

5. John @ AMO

John @ AMO New Member

I have been looking for a easy to use hard chine hull design program for some time.
    I have looked at 14 programs with out any results.
    Some of the design programs go some way but are servicing the big steel displacement ship with out any hard chines.
    I believe i know what is needed and how it can be created.
    I am looking for a programer to help create a hull design program for hard chine composite boats that is simple and fast to learn.

6. Andrew Mason

John

I'm interested in your comments, what do you feel is required of a hard chine hull design program and what functions do you feel are not addressed by the current crop of programs?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.