Looking for a 40ft aluminum sailboat kit.

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by vondoom, Jan 22, 2014.

1. vondoom

vondoom New Member

Hi all. I have used the search function to try to find an answer to my question but I am looking for a more refined answer.

I want to build a sailboat. Approx 40 feet. Single mast. Leaning towards aluminum but steel is also an option.

I am a metal fabricator by trade and sailor second. This is a project I will probably start sometime in 2016 and I want to do all the research I can in the meantime. The purpose of this vessel would be to live aboard in the summer months, sail the great lakes when time permits and eventually take her down south.

I have been searching online for files that I can have cut with a CNC or kits I can buy and have the components shipped to me. There are a number of these online however they are all good on file/or paper and I would like to chat with people who have actually attempted to do what I am trying to do. Any help steering me in the right direction would be quite helpful. Thank you!

2. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

4. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

Boats

Check the Gallery.

5. vondoom

vondoom New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions.

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Check out Bruce Robert's website. He has plans, cutting files, and/or kits available. Depending on the type of boat you are interested in, he probably has a design that would fit your needs.

Tim

7. Reefhunter

Reefhunter Junior Member

Check George Buehler's website.

I would do a steel hull with aluminum superstructure and teak decks. Full wood interior and no veneers. You will have the advantage of both materiels.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.