STITCH & GLUE , SOLID FIBERGLASS , or ALUMINUM ?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jbelow, Dec 1, 2003.

1. jbelow

jbelow New Member

I'm new here and doing research . Been searching the net trying to find answers . Looks like I will need to buy some books on boat building . There is much more to designing and building boats than I could imagine . This looks like a place to start .

Here goes :
    With the stich & glue method of boat building , can one use the plywood as the mold to lay up the glass to desired thickness ? Coat the plywood with a release agent and disguard after the epoxie is cured . Or buy pre- made solid fiberglass sheets ( if there is such a thing ) and then do the stitch & glue method .
    Would like to build a 20' by 8' power boat with a 5/8" bottom 1/2" sides .

How would an aluminum boat with a 1/4" bottom and 3/16" side compare in strength and durability ?

Thanks !

2. Sean

Sean New Member

Not stitch and glue

Hi,

Stitch and glue is not used for mold making. It is used to build one-off boats in a fast esfficient manner.

You can build a one-off female mold out of particle board, spray it with mold release glass the boat and throw away the mold. This is a lot of work.

Foam is an option where you can build a strong light boat quickly. You have to do some fairing work though.

You can buy balsa-core pre glassed panels, but they are expensive, and are never used for molds. I have never heard of that. 1/2" is something like $250 for a 4'x8' sheet.

I am getting ready to build a 27' x 9 power boat in the stitch and glue method.

Hope this info is helpful

Sean

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Jbelow, you seem to have answered your own question, in that you should buy some books and get started understanding design and the many building methods available in a variety of materials.

Stitch and glue construction techniques have come to be, from the need for a reasonably easy building method, using the strengths of plywood and epoxy. The hull form (shape) needs careful consideration as sheet goods like plywood can't bend into compound curves (though a bit of compound can be worked in if you force it) All sheet goods require this, like steel and aluminum. This conical development of the panels, allows the material to flow smoothly around the hull without pucker and kinks (a good thing) The method offers little benefit if you change out the plywood or glass tape (set in epoxy) part of the technique in favor of another material.

There are dozens of building methods, techniques and styles. Materials are equally as diverse in scope, ranging from paper to concrete and everything in-between.

Get some books on both subjects. Anyone can build a boat, it's not hard, but does take some "stick to it 'till it's done" attitude (sort of like raising children)

Start at the local library and move to owning a copy or several in the field. Before you know it you'll have the bug real bad and require itch scratching in the form of a many piles of saw dust, drips of goo stuck to your shorts, weld splatter burns and the rest. Your friends will think you're nuts, but will insist on the first ride after you launch (trust me, also make them bring the beer . . .)

Good Luck,

4. jbelow

jbelow New Member

Thanks Guys for the info . Will be finishing my 1st semester of welding school in the next few days . Have not decided on the material to build a boat out of yet but am leaning toward aluminum . Would like to build an aluminum version of the Tolman skiff . How to bend .25in plate to form the bow would be a problem to overcome .

I pass 4 boat dealerships on the way to work every day . I'm tempted to give up and buy one but I know it wouldn't scratch the itch . I have to build it my way .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.