Free hull drawings (express fisherman)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Albert Jr., Mar 29, 2013.

1. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. Previous Member

Anyone knows a site where I can find free express fisherman drawings ?
    I would preferably build the boat myself but I need the drawings.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The following statement has been made many many times by experienced forum members: "Free plans are worth exactly what you pay for them". Nothing, and often worse than nothing.

There are tons of free plans out there and you can find them by exploring the internet. Most of them are based on very old drawings, the materials and methods specified are likely to be far out of date. Some of the free plans have been drawn by people who know very little about sound boat design, so beware.

You can get proven plan sets from numerous professional sources. The prices are usually very reasonable and the money you pay for the plans is a very good bargain. The price of a good set of plans is a tiny fraction of the total cost of the boat. The plans are not the right part of your project to save money.

Disclaimer: I do not sell plans and I am not connected with anyone who does. I'm just telling it like it is.

3. Albert Jr.

Alright ok but does anyone else knows where I can find the plans for an express fisherman ?

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

try this site, some are obsolete poor designs, some are actually not bad, most can be updated to use modern construction methods:

http://svensons.com/boat/

5. Albert Jr.

Thanks, I have been on this site before and I was happy seeing that they still had the Seababe plans.
    Sadly the don't have the plans that I am interested in right now.

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

If you would offer more information on what size and type of "express fisherman" you are interested in, you might get some actual suggestions. There is everything from an 18 foot center console to 60 foot offshore fishermen available although the larger ones are almost all custom designs.

7. Albert Jr.

I would prefer something between 34 a 36 ft.

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Still not enough information and I can't think that anyone is going to offer free plans for such an ambitious project. Such a boat is going to cost a lot and good plans are relatively cheap compared to the cost of the boat and a good investment.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed, you'll find free plans for a 18' plywood fishing boat, but you'll be very hard pressed to find them for something as complex as a 35' power yacht. The big plan houses offer plans for this sort of craft, very inexpensively. Cutting costs by looking for free plans isn't the best place to save money, no more then using cheap materials in hull planking might be, both for obvious reasons. If you can't see the logic in this argument, then you'll never get a 35' yacht built. The scope of a project of this size is quite significant, requiring many hundreds, actually thousands of man hours. This is a lot of effort to put into crappy free plans.

10. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Unless you are a very knowledgeable boat builder free-cheap plans on a boat of that size are a disaster. By the questions you ask we can tell you are not. There is nothing wrong with that by the way.
    I learned my lesson about free plans the hard way. Never again.

11. Albert Jr.

I understand.
    I am no boat builder yet, I'm still just a learner.
    I have been doing a course and we are busy building 3 lobster boats right now.
    I am happy with what I've learned so far and I am eager to learn more.

There is a user that has send me an e-mail to get the info needed and we've already started talking.

I've also send him a picture of what style I'm thinking about.
    I do not intend to copy someone's design but I do whish for something with similar lines to the drawing.

For now all I really want are the plans with all the lengths needed to build the boat.

No materials, no tools and no company building the boat for me.

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Hasten slowly Albert, apart from all other considerations, if this rather ambitious project goes wrong, it will be costly. Start small and build on whatever success you have, rather than jump straight into large-scale, complex, money-burning risks.

13. Albert Jr.

You're right.
    Sadly its the costs that kick you *** in the end.
    But I have found other designs.
    I have also found a B&B 20 ft lobster boat that will be strip planked and a lobster skiff (also strip planked) that I know will sell well on Curacao.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.