stitch and glue?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by kayakn, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kayakn

kayakn Junior Member

I really want to built this mini tug boat sometime in the next year or so but I do not know how to stitch and glue. can someone explain to me step by step what needs to be done and what kind of epoxies or resins I need?
    Thanks,Blake

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Good links. It's actually quite simple. I just finished building a 12 foot stitch and glue boat. Essentially it is this. Cut out the parts, stitch the parts together using plastic wire ties or similar, most anything that will hold them together will do. Fill the seams with a putty made of epoxy resin and wood flour or micro ballons. Lay fiberglass tape over the seams. Coat with epoxy resin. After resin cures cut off the stitching. It's not quite that simple but almost.

There are quite a few resins on the market. I used System Three resin. The secret though is to start with one resin and use that throughout. Some resins are not compatible wiht resins from a different manufacturer.

The other secret (not really a secret though) is start with good plans that not only give you the layout and patterns , but also step by step instructions and building notes. Build something that has been built before and has available notes from other people who built it and the kind of problems they encountered. My boat plans were from Bateau and they have extensive build notes and an online forum. So do other designers, such as Devlin. Sam Devlin is arguably the high priest of stich and glue. Hard to go wrong there.

Also there is a very good book called "Stitch and Glue Boat Building" by Chris Kulczycki. He's the guy who founded Cheaspeake Light craft. They make stitch and glue kits. You can get the book on-line from Amazon or at a bookstore. I found it in the library.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  4. kayakn

kayakn Junior Member

thank you guys for the very, very good information the boat that i am looking to build is the 8' tubby tugboat. It looks like a good boat that will be a good challenge to build while not being to complex.
    Also, where can I get the wood flour?

Thanks,Blake

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I bought mine from the same people I bought the resin from, Boat Builder Central, http://boatbuildercentral.com/. But, I have seen it at marine suppliers, and even Boater's World. Any one who sells Resin would sell it. But really all it is is finely ground sawdust.